Need some advice in Reno, NV....ok,ok... a lot of advice.

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Need some advice in Reno, NV....ok,ok... a lot of advice.

Postby cliff358 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:52 am

I've been reading up on Lasik but I'm still not sure as to whether or not I should try getting the monovision. My prescription is:
sph cyl axis
-4.75 -2.25 178
-6.00 -1.75 180

also after that it says ADD:
o.d. +1.25
o.s. +1.25 (I have no idea what these numbers are for).

I am a computer technician, 48 yrs. old, and I work with computers all day long, and yes, I am presbyopic (sp?). I am looking at having the intralase done. It sounds like it would be more effective for me than PRK. I'm not very athletic and the only thing I do that might have an impact would be my motorcycle riding but I wear a full face helmet.
I am considering either Dr. [DR] or Dr. [DC]. I believe both are excellent doctors and have schedule consultations with them. I was told I'm an excellent candidate for Lasik but I could really use a little more advice. Although the monovision sounds enticing I really wouldn't have a problem if I had to wear glasses for reading. I've been wearing them since I was 8.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Note: Post was edited to remove doctors' names.
cliff358

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:50 pm

Careful planning and a good understanding of what you really need are required for you to be 20/Happy.

You have a strong imbalance between the two eyes and quite high astigmatism. Your presbyopia is moderately strong as shown by the add of +1.25 to your prescription for the bifocal portion.

Thanks to presbyopia, you need to decide if you want to have best distance vision or best near vision. Since you do most of your work on the computer, you may want to deliberately undercorrect to about -1.50 in both eyes. This would provide you with good mid-near vision (computer screen), adequate distance vision, and you would use glasses for excellent distance vision like driving.

Monovision is an option, but like undercorrection mentioned above you need to try it first. You need to be fitted with contact lenses that will simulate vision after Lasik. Near, distant, or monovision can be tested and adjusted first, then laser in whatever you actually like.

Your astigmatism is high enough that it may not be fully resolved with the first surgery. It would be reasonable to expect enhancement surgery to "fine tune" your vision.

Use our 50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctor to evaluate a potential surgeon and discuss your vision needs and contact lens trials.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

thanks

Postby cliff358 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:09 pm

Thank you for the info. I saw both doctors and was advised that monovision is not a viable option. I chose to go with correcting my far vision so that I won't have to wear glasses when I drive. I can live with only wearing them when I read. I appreciate your input.
cliff358

Return to Thinking About It