Dry Eyes

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Dry Eyes

Postby ecolley » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:10 pm

I've just been for my consultation. Although I was told that I'm suitable, I'm still not sure whether or not to go ahead. I'm 55 and I've had a problem with dry eyes for about 2 years. It's mainly a problem at night - I put in drops at night but my eyes still feel very dry when I waken - it's not really a problem during the day - only at night or when I'm really tired. Anyway, I was told that they would be especially careful to provide additional lubrication the week following surgery and it shouldn't be a problem. Lasik intralase mono vision (one eye reading one eye distance) was recommended) to eliminate the need for reading glasses. Before I had the dry eye problem I wore contact lenses and coped well with one eye reading, one distance. It's the dry eye problem that worries me most. i'd hate to spend the rest of my days with discomfort.
ecolley

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:03 pm

You need to diagnose and treat the dry eye problem before you make a decision about Lasik. Read about Lasik and Dry Eye.

Your doctor can measure the quantity of your tears (Schirmer test) and the quality of your tears (tear break-up time test) to help diagnose the underlying cause of your dry eye problem. If it is due to inflammation that blocks the channels that carry fluids to your eyes, then Restasis may be an appropriate medication. See Dry Eye Treatment.

The fact that you seem to have dry eye problems only at night would indicate that a nighttime gel lubricant may resolve or reduce the problem. Regular artificial tears would dissipate relatively quickly, even the thick ones.

No one can predict with absolute certainty if Lasik will exacerbate your dry eye problem. You may want to consider a Lasik alternative like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik. These surface ablation techniques tend to induce dry eye less often than Lasik because the do not disrupt the cornea as deeply.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It