Starbursts: Anyone ever seen big ones reduced or go away?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Starbursts: Anyone ever seen big ones reduced or go away?

Postby Anyman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:11 am

Despite serious reservations, I had the "all laser" lasik 2 weeks ago on my left eye & now see LARGE starbursts in dark conditions. Of course, complications like this were exactly what I feared, since I still have starbursts on the other eye after having undergone RK on that eye some 22+ years ago. The Dr used the Allegretto wave front laser, I believe. He is considered a "good" Dr & well regarded in this area.

My hesitation was tempered by my wife's excellent results 4 years ago with the same Dr. Hers was not "all laser", though. Her pupils were about 7 mm, the same as mine, although her prescription was around 20/20 & mine 20/400. She recalls having starbursts that faded after awhile.

I fear that even though it's only been 2 weeks my large damned starbursts will stay--thats just my luck. Yes, I know the healing time can take longer, but.... On the plus side, this is my only symptom to date. No dry eye, no floaters & no ghosting, etc. Just starbursts.

The doctor swears "on scout's honor" that I should see a difference within 3 months with 6 at the most as have the rest of his patients.

So here are my questions:

1) has anyone with larger starbursts experienced a decrease? If so, by how much and over what time frame?

2) What causes starbursts to get better over time? Is it the healing process? How does it work

3) Anything else I might be missing?

Add me to the "WTF did I do" group........
Anyman

Postby -RanZ- » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:55 am

I had large starburts at first then they slowly went away. It has been 6 months since I had all laser lasik and mine are a lot smaller now, barely noticeable. Some people report they go away completely but some people will have them for good... you are way too early to worry too much though in my opinion.
-RanZ-

Thanks-- I wonder why some disappear and others do not.

Postby Anyman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:07 am

-RanZ- wrote:I had large starburts at first then they slowly went away. It has been 6 months since I had all laser lasik and mine are a lot smaller now, barely noticeable. Some people report they go away completely but some people will have them for good... you are way too early to worry too much though in my opinion.

Why do some stay & others go? What is the mechanism?
Anyman

Postby -RanZ- » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:09 am

I dont think anyone really knows.

http://www.usaeyes.org/faq/subjects/starbursts.htm - there is some helpful info
-RanZ-

Update: 3 weeks post surgery

Postby Anyman » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:47 am

I may be imaging things, but it seems the starbursts are perhaps a little better. It is only 3 weeks, though, so much time remains until the full extent is known.

One thing is for sure-- I really don't like them! I hope they are the by products of initial healing as some indicate, but we shall see....
Anyman

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:11 am

Please be sure to let us know how you progress. It is very helpful for others.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

4 week update: Starbursts slightly reduced--but not by enoug

Postby Anyman » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:25 am

Starbursts are still here at the 4 week mark. Perhaps a 20% decrease. Noticeably less at the 12 o'clock position and still quite large at the 6 o'clock position. The Dr's office swears their patients are happy by the 6 month mark.

They better be right.......
Anyman

Re: 4 week update: Starbursts slightly reduced--but not by enoug

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:12 am

Anyman wrote:Starbursts are still here at the 4 week mark. Perhaps a 20% decrease. Noticeably less at the 12 o'clock position and still quite large at the 6 o'clock position. The Dr's office swears their patients are happy by the 6 month mark.

Thanks for the update. If you look at our organization's patient survery for Lasik results, you will see that the vast majority of patients are satisfied at the six month (or beyond) mark.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: Starbursts: Anyone ever seen big ones reduced or go away?

Postby bethbeth » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi. I had lasik with wavefront in the uk just over a year ago. I had pretty horrid starbursting in the beginning- the first few weeks were the worst. Car headlights were unbearable.
After about 2-3 months the sensitivity grew less and the starbursting continued but sort of stabilised. One year on I still have starbursting. I dont drive, fortunately, but I often wear a baseball peaked cap when out at night as carheadlights still 'scream' at me.
bethbeth

You still have them after an entire YEAR??

Postby Anyman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:09 am

Wow.... I am indeed sorry to hear that.

Have you checked with your doctor as to why this is? How bad was your prescription? Pupil size?

After 1 year one would think that it might be better. Can you quantify how much better they got?

I strongly suggest you dig deeper. Do you have any residual myopia or astigmatisms? Have you discussed in detail what is happening with your doctor and what to do?

How about inside vision? Any issues indoors? Seems to me the issue to too important to let go. I'd pursue it to the ends of the earth.

Thanks!
Anyman

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:11 pm

bethbeth wrote:One year on I still have starbursting.

If your starbursting is caused by residual refractive error, this will last forever or until you correct the refractive error. An exam at an eye doctor will determine if you have error that needs correction. You could wear glasses or contacts as a test to see if fixing the refractive error resolves the starbursting. If it does, you may want to consider enhancement surgery.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

7 week update on starbursts: No change. Still present :(

Postby Anyman » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:40 am

At the 7 week mark they are still present in dim light, although the 12 o'clock position is better. No appreciable difference from 1-2 weeks ago.

I continue to wait for the 3 month check up & thereafter. I am thus far going to put some faith in the Dr's assurance that by 3-6 months things should be better. If not... then it's time to have a little talk with them.
Anyman

Postby nemesis63 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:00 pm

I am 3 weeks post-up. I having starbrsting and my right is not clear as the left one. There is no difference since surgery. I hope they will go away. My uncle and a friend had lasik many years ago and both of them still have starbursting. My uncle can't drive smoothly at nights since surgery. This is what makes me nervous.

Here is my story:
http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2200
nemesis63

Postby kalina » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:05 pm

I wonder if the chance for persistent starburst problems increases the greater your vision correction?
Kalina Isato
kalina

I believe this is so

Postby Anyman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:32 pm

A larger correction requires a larger area, hence the issue.
Anyman

Next

Return to Just Had It