Lasik - Which option is best?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Lasik - Which option is best?

Postby Mark Rosario » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:26 am

I am 39 and computer technician by profession and work with computers all day. I wear glasses of -4.0 and since last 15 years, this number has been perfect for me. I went to see a doctor to evaluate my eyes for Lasik. Unfortunately, I have recently got hyperopia (unable to see near objects very clearly) problems as well.

My doctor is giving me following 3 options:

1. Go for Lasik and completely resolve problems related to myopia, but live rest of your life with another glasses required to see near objects.

2. Go for Lasik with some delibrate under-correction. Doctor is suggesting perfect -4.0 for Right-Eye and -3.0 for Left-Eye. This will resolve myopia, as well as less pressure on eyes to see near objects.

3. Don't go for Lasik.

Need your advice.

Thanks in advance.
Mark
Mark Rosario

Re: Lasik - Which option is best?

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:50 am

Mark Rosario wrote:Unfortunately, I have recently got hyperopia (unable to see near objects very clearly) problems as well.

This is actually presbyopia. You will want to learn about Lasik and presbyopia.

Mark Rosario wrote:1. Go for Lasik and completely resolve problems related to myopia, but live rest of your life with another glasses required to see near objects.

Welcome to the world of "normal" vision. You would be wearing reading glasses to see objects near, but would have good distance vision.

Mark Rosario wrote:2. Go for Lasik with some delibrate under-correction. Doctor is suggesting perfect -4.0 for Right-Eye and -3.0 for Left-Eye. This will resolve myopia, as well as less pressure on eyes to see near objects.

I believe the doctor would correct 4.00 right and 3.00 diopters left for a mild monovision. You need to read about Lasik monovision.

Mark Rosario wrote:3. Don't go for Lasik.

Always a viable option.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It