Here are my numbers, do I qualify for PRK?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Here are my numbers, do I qualify for PRK?

Postby icantseeyourface » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:24 pm

I just got back from my second visit to my eye doctor. I had to get fitted for soft contacts because I have been wearing RGP's all my life. I plan to have PRK in JULY, wearing soft contacts untill JUNE and switching to glasses 2 weeks prior to my surgery.
My vision is -7.25/-7.00
My cornea measurements are 419 and 422
My eyedoctor estimates that about 120 (units?/mirocrons?) will be removed during PRK.(She works with the Laser center)

I also asked about Keratoconous. She said that from the initial eye scan there is no evidence of it.

Pupils will be measured in about 2 months.

So, from the numbers so far how do I look as a candidate for PRK (I was told corneas were 2 thin for lasik)

Any input from Glenn or others would be appreciated!!
icantseeyourface

qualifying for PRK

Postby cateyes » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:04 pm

I don't know how well I can answer your question, but here's my two cents worth anyway:

I had iLasik done in January, but initially, I planned to get PRK. From the research I did on it, PRK is better for patients with thin corneas since less of it is removed. As well, I was a -9.00, or more severely nearsighted than you are, and I was still a good candidate for it. As well, my cornea was a bit on the thin side, but not thin enough to disqualify me for iLasik.

The main reason I decided against PRK is because you have to take the steroidal anti-inflammatory eye drops (i.e. Pred forte) for a longer time period after the procedure. My intra ocular pressure increased last year while I was on Tobradex (a similar drop) for a corneal infection, and so the doctor told me that would most likely happen again with these eye drops. He told me there was a small risk of me developing glaucoma (I also have a family history of it.) as a result. Because of that "little" detail, I ultimately opted for iLasik.

I have three friends who've had PRK, all with moderate nearsightedness (around -6.00) and all three are thrilled with the result.
cateyes

Re: Here are my numbers, do I qualify for PRK?

Postby mileslilly » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:26 pm

icantseeyourface wrote:I just got back from my second visit to my eye doctor. I had to get fitted for soft contacts because I have been wearing RGP's all my life. I plan to have PRK in JULY, wearing soft contacts untill JUNE and switching to glasses 2 weeks prior to my surgery.
My vision is -7.25/-7.00
My cornea measurements are 419 and 422
My eyedoctor estimates that about 120 (units?/mirocrons?) will be removed during PRK.(She works with the Laser center)

I also asked about Keratoconous. She said that from the initial eye scan there is no evidence of it.

Pupils will be measured in about 2 months.

So, from the numbers so far how do I look as a candidate for PRK (I was told corneas were 2 thin for lasik)

Any input from Glenn or others would be appreciated!!

Be careful and do your research before you sign up for any eye surgery.Make sure the doctor knows how to handle complications ( just in case) and get 2nd opinion from different opthalmologist. I've heard of corneaplastique from this website: [redacted], which is the combination of few different techniques. Many people have been told that they were not candidates for laser, just go to the website and find for yourself that there is always an option to get your vision back.

Note: Website redacted.
mileslilly

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:12 pm

It is almost the end of July. Have you had your PRK and if so, how did it go?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It