Systane drops

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Systane drops

Postby DocH » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:02 pm

Hi All,
As dry eyes are controlling my world (see my other posts...) I was wondering if Systane drops have been found to be better than others?
I have tried various drops so far (I should invest in Alcon....) most without preservatives and some with (as recc by my eye Doc).
I have heard that Systane are good.
Anyone have direct experience with them?
DocH

Re: Systane drops

Postby Corrina » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:48 am

I've been using systane drops since they are what I received for samples from my procedure. I just had mine done on the 22nd and those drops don't seem to be doing anything. My eyes are so dry it's driving me slightly crazy. I bought some Refresh Plus drops and those seem to work better for me.
Corrina

Postby eclipse » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:55 pm

Been using systane drops since april 09 after my ilasik procedure, I like em, they get the job done for me. (I do not have bad dry eye, I just use em in the morning when I wake up and at night when I go to bed)
eclipse

Postby CTOD » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:38 pm

The over the counter drops are all a little different--the trick is finding the one you like the best and using it very consistantly--not just when your eyes feel really bad. Build it into your routine and use them at the same time everyday throughout the day. If you are really dry use something thick at night--refresh celluvisc or genteal gel work well at night--I used celluvisc during the day as well if I was feeling really dry. Having a fan on at night is a killer too so turn off your ceiling fan or other fans while you sleep. Good luck!
CTOD

Postby CTOD » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:40 pm

one more thought--the orginal Systane is a thinner drop--Systane Ultra is thicker and I felt like it gave the benefit of a gel without blurring my vision so I liked it better.
CTOD

Postby Mark20 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:54 am

I have some dryness when waking up. My eye doctor also thinks its affecting the vision in one eye, just a little short of 20/20. She wants me to use drops a few times during the day.

I've been using Refresh but recently started using Systane and am finding it to do a better job. Eyes are less dry when waking up now and feel better all day.

Hope this helps.
Mark20

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:07 pm

DocH wrote:Anyone have direct experience with (Systane)?

As you can see by the multiple responses, different people get different results from different artificial tears. Two primary reasons for this are that your eyes' needs are unique and each of the manufacturers have a slightly different formula. Sometimes what works perfectly for one person is inferior for another.

We have an article about Lasik dry eyes and a separate article about Lasik dry eye treatment that you may find valuable. There is a table of different artificial tears that can instruct you on which classes of eye drops you may want to try.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DocH » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:35 pm

Dear Glen,
I'm now 7 months out and my eyes are still very dry.
I can't get hold of Restasis in my country (its not approved...) and my Doc seems very against steroid drops (he says it causes regression) . Would a weak steroid drop for a short time (say a month) cause problems in your opinion?
DocH

Return to Just Had It