dizziness

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

dizziness

Postby kellyc » Mon May 25, 2009 12:41 am

I had lasik 10-12 years ago with an enhancement the following year. My eyes are red and sore most of the time. My eyes feel like they are pulling out of the eye sockets and I am generally dizzy all of the time. I experience frequent headaches and my eyes are blurry if I rub my eyes. My eyes take a few minutes to focus after I'm finished reading. I have needed reading glases the past few years, but all of the previous mentioned symptom have been going on since the enhancement. :(
kellyc

Postby Still Hoping » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:22 am

I, too, suffer from dizziness, to the point that I've been to doctors and therapists and am considering a neurosurgeon. I am 14 weeks out and still have extremely sore, irritated eyes and headaches. I have recently been dealing with anxiety and depression due to the strange visual effects and sore eyes. If anyone has had their dizziness resolve over time, please respond, as I need all the hope I can get. Thanks.
Still Hoping

Re: dizziness

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:08 pm

Have you had a second opinion? What has the doctor diagnosed? What treatments are you currently using to limit the problems?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re:

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:18 pm

Still Hoping wrote:I, too, suffer from dizziness, to the point that I've been to doctors and therapists and am considering a neurosurgeon. I am 14 weeks out and still have extremely sore, irritated eyes and headaches. I have recently been dealing with anxiety and depression due to the strange visual effects and sore eyes. If anyone has had their dizziness resolve over time, please respond, as I need all the hope I can get. Thanks.

Please read our article about Lasik related headaches and eye strain and anxiety.

A neurosurgeon is likely to eliminate from suspicion any problems that do not directly relate to your Lasik recovery. The symptoms of sore, irritated eyes and headaches are consistent with Lasik related dry eye problems, but this is something that should be able to be measured by your doctor and would likely respond well to dry eye treatment.

Dizzyness is common if there is an imbalance in refractive error between the two eyes, or if there is an inner ear issue. Dry eyes can contribute to inner ear inflammation that can cause vertigo and dizzyness. An imbalance between the two eyes can cause a reduction in depth perception that may present as a dizzy feeling.

What is your current eyeglass prescription? What have the doctor's diagnosed? What treatments are you currently using?
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Still Hoping » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:11 pm

Thanks for your reply. My pre-lasik error was -4.25 rt and -3.75 left. My lasik doc said I was pretty even at -.25 in both at about a month out, but my second opinion doc said I was overcorrected to +.25 rt and +.75 left. Is this a far enough difference to create problems? This doc did not see any major red flags to have anything redone, despite my off-centered incision, wrinkling/striae in both eyes, and a fiber present in my left eye. He could not explain the "caving in" feeling I have in my left eye, but I notice it every day, especially indoors where my vision is worse anyway. The "squeezing" sensation in my head, along with the ultrasensitive nerve in my left eye which effects other areas of my body, are what concern me the most.

More recently (1 week ago), I went back to my lasik surgeon and his refraction results were exactly at "even" (is that plano?). He said it could be that it changed that much in 3 weeks, or that they "pushed" me to be positive at the 2nd opinion place. Do either of these explanations sound reasonable.

I do not have a diagnosis other than dry eyes and anxiety/depression. I have always been 100% HEALTHY AND HAPPY prior to my lasik procedure. I am devastated and my children miss their mommy.
Still Hoping

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:56 pm

Still Hoping wrote:...I was overcorrected to +.25 rt and +.75 left. Is this a far enough difference to create problems?

Yes, for two reasons. You are now hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) and hyperopia effects are much greater than the effects of the myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision you had before surgery. A 0.50 diopter difference in hyperopia is significant.

The other reason is that your eyes are attempting to "focus around" the hyperopia. This would likely be the source of your Lasik related eye strain and headaches.

Still Hoping wrote:More recently (1 week ago), I went back to my lasik surgeon and his refraction results were exactly at "even" (is that plano?). He said it could be that it changed that much in 3 weeks, or that they "pushed" me to be positive at the 2nd opinion place. Do either of these explanations sound reasonable.

Somewhat, but not completely reasonable. Your Lasik doctor prbably needs to do both a manifest refraction (which is better, one or two?) and a cycloplegic refraction (which is better with eyes dilated and lens paralyzed). My bet is that the cycloplegic refraction will show significant hyperopia. This is because when the lens is not paralyzed during the manifest refraction it is "focusing around" the hyperopia and in a manifest refraction you would test close to plano not because you are actually plano, but because your natual lens within the eye is working overtime to resolve the hyperopia.

Still Hoping wrote:I do not have a diagnosis other than dry eyes and anxiety/depression. I have always been 100% HEALTHY AND HAPPY prior to my lasik procedure. I am devastated and my children miss their mommy.

Poor vision after Lasik and conflicting information can certainly be stressful. This is a "symptom" that needs to be treated just as much as dry eyes or overcorrection. You may also want to read about Lasik anxiety.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago