3 Weeks Post-Lasik- New Complications

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

3 Weeks Post-Lasik- New Complications

Postby KiddDynamite24 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:45 am

I had a Wavelight Lasik surgery on 7/30/09. Before surgery I was -4.75 in both eyes. My old eye doctor told me that my pupils before the surgery were between 5.5 and 6. I also had a very slight astigmatism, but it never bothered me as I saw perfectly with my soft contacts. Nevertheless, I had great insurance coverage for Lasik so decided to go ahead with it. Immediately after I noticed I had double vision, which was more noticeable in my left eye than my right eye. Anything less than complete sunlight I noticed I was seeing starbursts, ghosting vision, and halos. I went back for my week checkup a few days early because I was freaking out and they just told me to be patient. I began getting used to seeing the vision problems and calmed down a little. The starbursts seemed to get better actually not too long after, but the ghosting got worse. I also noticed double vision even in full light, most noticeably on higher contrasting things. Traffic lights (especially when red) appeared to have 3 different lights (I guess seeing double from my right and left. I was actually comfortable with everything and hopeful everything would heal up soon. However, Sunday night, 8/16/09, I made a mistake. I was helping out with my younger cousins baseball team who I help coach and- long story short- it was raining outside and we still conducted the practice. One of the kids unexpectedly slid on a play and knocked up a bunch of water and possibly dirt into my face and assuming it got me in the eyes. I freaked out, then calmed down and it seemed like my vision was okay. The next day I didn't notice much difference, however, 2 days later at night, I noticed starbursts that were obnoxiously large. The ghosting is still just as bad as it was, considering it was pretty bad when it happened.

I decided to call the place that did my surgery to see if I could get in early (my 3 week follow up was scheduled for this Monday). I am freaking out, and I know part of this may be my fault. When I look through a pinhole, the starburst get better somewhat but I still notice them somewhat, just lessened. Has anyone done something like this or had a similar problem? Did I rough up my cornea surface? If so, can this heal itself? Would another surgery help down the road if not? I know I can get some answers tomorrow. I've been reading these forums since my surgery, and they have been tremendous. I wish I would have found this before my surgery. Thanks to all.
KiddDynamite24

I am no expert, but have a few suggestions

Postby Anyman » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:32 am

1) Get in there NOW. Issues like you describe can be serious. Do not accept lame excuses or worse. I am not expert, but what you describe does NOT sound at all normal for 3 weeks. Were this PRK then perhaps so.

2) Consider a 2nd opinion and get another take on your eyes.

3) Do a little research to see if your doctor has a malpractice problem. Just in case, find out the statute of limitations in your area & be aware of your rights. Don't let them con in into letting it---and your ability to seek compensation/justice-- pass by.

Hope this helps.....
Anyman

Re: 3 Weeks Post-Lasik- New Complications

Postby KiddDynamite24 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:22 pm

I appreciate the reply. I called and got my appointment moved up was seen on Friday August 21. I informed the doctor of my problems. I think I am seeing around 20/40 in each eye solo, but together I am seeing 20/30. The doctor tested my vision in the "better one or two" machine, forget the name of it. I didn't notice much improvement from it in my vision, and still saw the ghosting as well. I guess this means there is not a refractive error. So my doctor believes I have some corneal edema (swelling) that has I guess swollen up more after 2 weeks or so. He gave me some sodium chloride drops that are supposed to help with it. I hope this works. I'm still pretty anxious about everything. I was at a wedding last night that had a dimly lit reception room and my vision was very poor. I am just hoping it gets better, but the fact that it has gotten a little worse makes me pretty anxious. I also mentioned to the doctor about the light streaks I am seeing when I blink or squint and the doctor said he had them as well for about 4-5 months after surgery. I have a follow up appointment Monday August 31st, hopefully I notice an improvement by then. If not, I will probably seek another opinion to see whats they think and hopefully put my mind to ease at least a little.
KiddDynamite24

Good. Don't let them get away with BS'ing you.

Postby Anyman » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:27 pm

Don't let them BS you. Get firm answers & if not satisfied get answers, get a 2nd opinion & don't forget your legal rights. Of course, you could always hang out in front of the office with a big "so and so ruined my eyesight"..... :) Or, you could call Tony Soprano! Seriously, don't let them BS you. Get firm answers and if not satisfied (& even if you are) get a 2nd opinion or 2 or 3.....

Good luck. We all need it.
Anyman

Return to Just Had It