A Question about Enhancements

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

A Question about Enhancements

Postby dan1966 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:47 pm

When should one get an enhancement? It's been a year and three months since I had my Lasik surgery. Would waiting several years make any difference? My eyes are not good now but the thought of making them even worse has me reluctant to have an enhancement. My vision is also hard to assess, which further complicates things. Well, the problem might be this but it could also be that. Also, given that neither eye is quite right, I question whether the next time would be any better. One eye off? Ok. But both.

If I were to grade my eyes, I'd give my left eye a D and my right eye a B-. Thank you.
dan1966

Re: A Question about Enhancements

Postby DocH » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:55 pm

Dear Dan
What did you start at and what are you now?
My R was -6 and after is -1.75 so I am also thinking about it
DocH
DocH

Postby stinger » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:58 pm

Hello

I initially had lasek for about -4.00 in each eye. Afterwards i had excellent vision, not sure what prescription but I would have been surprised if any. I soon regressed though (after about 8 weeks) and was about -1.5ish in each eye. 12 months after my initial surgery I had the left eye enhanced. 10 months later and its pin sharp, no prescription but it took along time to get there. I had my right eye redone last week, nearly 2 years since initial surgery and as expected I cant see much out it yet but very early days and my left was the same so i'm not panicking. I'd say there is no rush. I got my enhancements done for free and my provider was very good but seeing how long it took my left eye to settle down i wouldnt be in any rush to get enhanced thats for sure.
stinger

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:06 am

dan1966 wrote:When should one get an enhancement? It's been a year and three months since I had my Lasik surgery. Would waiting several years make any difference?

If the only issue is refractive error, then your eyes have undoubtedly stabilized as much as they are able.

dan1966 wrote: My eyes are not good now but the thought of making them even worse has me reluctant to have an enhancement. My vision is also hard to assess, which further complicates things. Well, the problem might be this but it could also be that.

It is only reasonable to expect from enhancement surgery the vision you are able to achieve with glasses. If glasses do not give you what you need, then discuss in detail with your surgeon how additional surgery will resolve your problems.

dan1966 wrote: Also, given that neither eye is quite right, I question whether the next time would be any better. One eye off? Ok. But both.

You know how some people are allergic to cats and others are not? Everybody reacts differently. Although reasonable predictions can be made based upon an average, it is quite possible that your eyes reacted differently than expected. Now that your doctor has a better idea of how your eyes react, adjustments to accomodate those differences can be made. Discuss with your surgeon why s/he thinks it will be right this time.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago