Lasik after 3 years.

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Re: Lasik after 3 years.

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:14 am

Bausch & Lomb Zyopix, Visx S4, Alcon LADARVision are all wavefront-guided.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby -RanZ- » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:33 pm

Roger wrote:If anyone out there in the forum has experienced poor night vision, please kindly share if you have considered an enhancement or the experience of having one.

Many thanks.

I had my lasik back in January of this year and still have crappy night vision. It has gotten a lot better since the first month but still not what it used to be. I thought about an enhancement but don't want to take a chance of sacrificing my incredible 20/10 vision during the day for the chance to get better night vision.
-RanZ-

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:28 pm

RanZ, you should check your night vision with Rigid Gas Permeable (RGP) contact lenses. They can reshape the outer edges of your cornea and help with night vision. Another alternative is using Alphagan P eye drops to reduce your pupil size slightly. Check with your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Any danger of long term use? Also, why is night vision bad?

Postby Anyman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:33 pm

What Alphgan P drops may help, is there any danger of long term use? Any studies, etc?

Also, why is night vision still bad? Isn't it better to get to the root cause? Shouldn't this NOT be a problem? Sounds like it needs some looking into......
Anyman

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:26 am

Read our article about Lasik pupil size for an explanation about the night vision issues. Alphagan P is a medication for glaucoma that has a side effect of reducing pupil size. It should be benign for most patients.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Thanks, I've read it many times yet am STILL puzzled!

Postby Anyman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:37 am

LasikExpert wrote:Read our article about Lasik pupil size for an explanation about the night vision issues. Alphagan P is a medication for glaucoma that has a side effect of reducing pupil size. It should be benign for most patients.

Thanks for responding. I have indeed read the article multiple times and while it gives me hope I remain quite concerned and then some. I am 12 weeks out and STILL have the damned starbursts despite pious promises on how "virtually nobody has them after 6 months" and how if I do I'll "be the only one". I did vast research on this doctor and found nothing negative, which is puzzling me.

Why do I STILL have them after 12 weeks/ If it really possible they could suddenly resolve in another 2, 4 or more months? As much as I hope, I remain exceedingly skeptical and regret doing this every time I step into dim light. The last thing I want is to rely on drops to see like a normal person.

Are you personally aware of people who have seen slight improvement after 3-4 months, yet some substantially better 5, 7 or more months out?

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.
Anyman

Postby Roger » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:26 pm

I am struggling if I should risk any enhancement procedure. The blurry continues. To put it concise, my vision is like through a plate of plastic. Objects lack details and I see the world, even under bright sun shine, like looking through a camera soft lens.

Anyone can share experience and thoughts? Thanks.
Roger

Enhancement? Only is damned near guaranteed!

Postby Anyman » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:36 am

I am no doctor, but nonetheless say that before you can/should have an "enhancement" or re-do you should know precisely what is causing your issues and why they think such can be corrected. Without hard and firm answers and reasons (as well as the OK to cut their testicles off if they're wrong :) ) I am not sure I'd go through with it. Also, I'd get multiple opinions as well. Proceed carefully. If there is a mechanical reason you see poorly that can be fixed then perhaps a repair is OK.
Anyman

Postby Roger » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:04 am

I finally went to the optic store to try out the glasses but it didn't help at all. The measurement is 50 antigmatism on left eye and low far sightedness on both eyes.

I got the contact of yet another eye doctor for some more check up. Not know what to expect and not sure if I have any courage(or stupidity) for any corrective surgery even if it's suggested. What a mess....
Roger

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:00 am

I'd be very interested to hear what the surgeon has to say about the fog/blur vision quality. If it was just refractive error (you report being slightly hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted)) this can be corrected with lenses during the exam. That does not seem to be the case.

If the cornea is hazy from the surgery, then this should be visible upon examination.

What is your current prescription and what is your age? Do you have the higher order aberration information for vertical and horizontal coma and spherical aberration?
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Roger » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:04 am

I'm soon turning 37 and did the surgery back at 33 and vision had never been clear since then. The current measurment is 0.5 astimagtism and 0.5 farsightedness on the left eye. Maybe 25 farsightedness on the right.

When I consulted one doctor (not my surgeon) last year, he said my cornea was clear.

I do not have any HOA information. Should it have been measured before the lasik surgery?

Thanks.
Roger

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:13 am

The clear cornea is a very important diagnosis. It would appear that the continued vision problem relates to refractive error and astigmatism. Hyperopia (farsighted) vision can be an odd one. A young healthy eye will attempt to "focus around" hyperopia. As we get closer to age 40, this can lead to odd symptoms like headaches, nausea, sinus pressure, and fluctuating vision quality.

I suspect that what will be helpful is a rigid gas permeable (RGP) contact lens or even ortho-keratology, which is a process of the patient sleeping in RGPs that are fitted to reshape the cornea. The cornea retains that reshaping throughout the day. The biggest advantage of a well-fitted RGP is that it can create a regularity across the cornea.

Roger wrote:I do not have any HOA information. Should it have been measured before the lasik surgery?

Not necessarily. Wavefront diagnostic technology was just starting to come into its own about the time you had surgery. It may not have been available. It is available now. An Orbscan topography and a wavefront diagnostic wavescan would tell a lot about the refractive nature of your vision.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Had It A While Ago