Transient or pemanent ??

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Transient or pemanent ??

Postby PattyH999 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:02 pm

Hi, I am so glad I found this board. I am a 51 yr. old woman who is five weeks status post iLasik. My procedure was mono-vision with "full" correction in my right eye (-6.5) and undercorrection in my left eye equal to the +2 that I had in my glasses. I went into this with eyes wide open. As a healthcare consultant, I had read the fine print and I knew with my degree of correction and the decision to under-correct the left eye that some amount of compromise would be expected. I had worn monovison contacts for social situations for years. I carefully selected the surgeon who collaborated with my independent optometrist to get the numbers in line for the left eye. The only issue with the sx was that my flap had to be made smaller than the default on the machine because my eyes are small. My first two checkups ( 1 day and 1 week) were right on schedule and then, after a pretty hard business trip 10 days after surgery, I had a rather drastic decline in acuity. I could not see well enough to drive. I could barely read the big E. My near vision has been the saving grace. I had flown in a small, unpressurized plane and used antihistines and antiemetics extensively on the trip. I also had not been given clear instructions on only using preservative-free tears and I used regular tears on the trip. I had worked long days on the computer. The result was some severe dry eye complications. I had no symptoms of dry eye prior to surgery and had even gone on Restasis two week before the surgery just as a precaution since I was post-menopausal. So, I was doing all the right things on one hand and then I did several wrong things. I am back on Pred Forte drops, one drop each eye daily. I am continuing with Restasis and I had another course of antibiotic drops after the set-back. I had silicone plugs put in the bottom and another placed on top in the right eye. The top plug was just removed because over over-tearing. Vision declined again when top plug was removed. I am taking Omega 3 and 6 supplements along with Vitamin E. I am hydrating as much as possible. On my last visit, there was no dry spots with staining but my acuity is still off. After using tears, I get a perfect vision for maybe 10 seconds. Then, it's like I need to take my "contacts"out to clean them type thing. I just had glasses ordered with a -1.25 correction for the right eye and -2.50 for the left eye to aid in driving and low light situations for the meantime. I am hoping for the tear film to stablize. I realize that there may be some regression and I am not even ready to discuss retreatment. I realize that my vision, uncorrected, is far improved from my original condition and I'm okay with that. I am happy with my care even though not with my results. My question is this: When will I know how many of the symptoms are transient or if they are permanent? I am trying to stay calm and be patient. I have good support with my doctors. I am just curious if anyone else has had a similar complication and, if so, what course resolved it. I want to do everything that I can to do to restablize the tear film. I am using the gel type tears prn along with the other meds. Any comments or experiences are welcome. Thank you.
PattyH999

Re: Transient or pemanent ??

Postby alwaleed » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:01 am

Sorry to hear about your troubles

I`m not an expert but from what I understood from my doctor there is no way to know how long will you suffer from the dry eyes or whether they will be permanent or transient

A friend of mine suffered dry eyes after LASIK for one year & then it got resolved. So it might take long time

I`m also suffering from extreme dry eyes & on topical Steroids & Glaucoma drops so I asked my doctor about punctal plugs. His recommendation was against using them as long as I`m on any topical meds. Topical meds contain preservatives & with the plugs the eye retention time for these preservatives will be long & therefore will exaggerate the dry eye symptoms. It might be a good idea to discuss this with your doctor

Lately I started using BLINK Intensive Tears preservative free & they seem to give me more comfort time than other drops. You might want to try those maybe they will help

I wish you get better soon & hope to hear good news on your recovery
alwaleed

Return to Just Had It