STILL have halos : (

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

STILL have halos : (

Postby BlueEyes » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:46 pm

I had my lasik done just over 6 months ago and still have halos around lights....will they ever disappear? They were not very noticable for the first few months after the procedure, but have gotten worse in the last 3 months. I can hardly drive at night, they are so bad.

If they aren't gone by now, is there a chance they will ever go away??
BlueEyes

Re: STILL have halos : (

Postby chliansh » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:47 am

Mine seemed pretty bad still at 6 months, I am at 9 months now and I feel pretty good about night vison and halos. I assumed after 6 months everything would be healed and done changing but its not.
chliansh

Postby ericto » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:26 pm

we would like to hear more progress from you
same here with me
ericto

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:18 pm

BlueEyes wrote:They were not very noticable for the first few months after the procedure, but have gotten worse in the last 3 months.

This indicates a change in refractive error or a change in your naturally dilated pupil size. It is possible the meds you were taking in the first few months causes your pupils to constrict, which would reduce night time vision problems. It is also possible that you started a medication or supplement a few months after surgery that is causing your pupils to dilate. You may want to look into this. Also, read our article about Lasik halos.

BlueEyes wrote:I can hardly drive at night, they are so bad.

Ask your doctor if Alphagen P would be appropriate. This is a glaucoma medicine that has a side effect of reducing pupil size. You could apply a drop in the evening when you are having vision problems.

BlueEyes wrote:If they aren't gone by now, is there a chance they will ever go away??

Yes, but if they are due to residual refractive error you may need glasses or enhancement surgery to resolve the underlying problem. It sounds to me like you may have a small amount of prescription that is causing the problem.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby -RanZ- » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:07 pm

It will be a year next month and I still have halos/terrible contrast. My day vision is 20/10 but at night if I look at a LED clock I can read the numbers perfectly but I see a blurry haze around them... really kind of irritating as I figured they would go away by now but I am starting to think I will have that for good now. I notice it a lot more if my eyes are really dry. At least the starbursts have gone away though, those were REALLY annoying
-RanZ-

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:32 pm

You need to get a comprehensive evaluation why you still have this problem. It sounds like you have residual refractive error that may be able to be corrected. Also, ask your doctor if Alphagan P would be appropriate. It is a glaucoma medicine that has the side effect of reducing pupil size. It may be helpful in those low-light environments.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby -RanZ- » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:58 am

I have my 1 year post op in a few weeks, I think I will tell them I want a more comprehensive check with a waveguide scan to see if there are any obvious things that may be causing the halos. Every post op I have had they just look at my eyes through the scope thing and I look at a chart... I'm sure there is something else they should be able to check. The place that did the actual lasik had a lot more fancy equipment when I went in for the consultation, maybe I will demand to be re-checked by them. I think it is because of my pupil size but if that is the case there is nothing I can really do as I don't want to use those drops as they cannot be good for your eyes long term.
-RanZ-

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:21 pm

-RanZ- wrote:I think it is because of my pupil size but if that is the case there is nothing I can really do...

If it is a pupil size v. optical ablation zone issue, the optical ablation zone may be able to be enlarged. This is yet another reason why you need to be evaluated by the surgeon, as opposed to being evaluated by the co-managing optometrist. There may be even more options that have not been discussed.

-RanZ- wrote:...as I don't want to use those drops as they cannot be good for your eyes long term.

This is likely an unnecessary fear. Alphagan P has been used long-term by many patients with no negative effects. Discuss this with your surgeon.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago