Astigmatism?

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Astigmatism?

Postby Rainora » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:18 pm

I had LASEK over two years ago with the Bausch&Lomb Zyoptix-system. My pre-op prescription was OS -4 with -3,5 astigmatism and OD -5,5 with -1 astigmatism. I was 20 years old and my refraction had been stable for at least one year.

The surgeon operated my left eye first, then the right eye about a month later. The first surgery was a great success, and after a few months my vision had stabilized somewhere around 20/15. During the healing period i had about half a diopter of astigmatism, that went back and forth, but disappeared eventually. My right eye was more difficult. Immediately after the surgery, my vision was very poor and I saw double and triple images. However, after a few weeks the situation had gotten much better. My vision was about 20/30, and I only saw some ghostigng around light objects in the dark. I also had some residual astigmatism, but glasses didn't help with the ghosting. I was happy with the results, since my left eye was strongly dominant and I could almost completely ignore the ghosting in my right eye. The doctor couldn't explain the ghosting, since Orbscans showed nothing. He never did the wavefront scan to me again after the surgery, so I don't know if that would have revealed something.

About ten months ago I started to notice a slight deterioration in the vision of my left eye. It was very strange: I was in a bus at night, it was very dark. Suddenly I realized, that i could'n make out the green digital numbers of the bus clock with my left eye. They were all blurry and ghosted. However, everything else was chrystal clear, even when I looked through the bus window, into the darkness. Later I made more weird discoveries: all the green and blue city lights became blurred, while red, yellow and white lights remained clear. As months passed, the effect became worse, and gradually white lights started to have ghosts too. It was like the astigmatism I had had right after the surgery had come back, only this time it was worse and for some reason, I couldn't make out green and blue lights at all. They were extremely blurry and ghosted. My overall nightime vision started to get worse. My daytime vision wasn't affected that time, but eventually it started to deteriotate too.

I don't want to give the wrong impression: I still don't need glasses but I am considering them for my nightime vision. It is the weird blurriness of the green and blue lights that concerns me. I have never experienced anything like that nor have I heard about it earlier. Prior the surgery, I spent a whole month on the internet studying the surgery, but I never came across anything like this. My right eye is pretty much the same as it has been after the surgery: in the dark, I see some ghosting, no matter what the color of the lights. The vision in that eye is slightly blurry at all distances, but especially far. When I look through my left eye, the vision is very crisp at near and midrange, but becomes blurry when I look far. Green and blue lights are a mess, but red lights are very clear. What is this? Is this just normal astigmatism? I am worried about it getting worse and worse. I have started to get headaches in the dark and when watching TV or computer screen. I now see much bigger halos and starbursts that I did before. The halos are colored, they have always been, is this normal? There also seems to be some glare at night. I don't feel comfortable with my vision at night anymore.

There's also something else... it started around the time my vision started to get worse. When I press my head down, for example to tie my shoe laces, I feel pressure in my eyes, especially in the left eye. If I stay down, a wavy area appears in the periphery of my field of vision. It's hard to explain, but it's like a spot in my eye that makes waves. Is this something I should be worried about?

Do you have any suggestions, what is wrong with my eye? How about the ghosting in my right eye after the surgery? What may have caused it?

I'm very sorry for writing a novel. Thank you for reading it. Also, I apologise for the bad english, I am not American.
Rainora

Postby Mike » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:33 pm

Hello

I had Lasik 2.5 months ago. I have the similar issue of high pressure in one eye when I bend down. I was reading on the internet that increased pressure may be a symptom of Glucoma and this might have been caused by the trauma during the lasik.

I will have to chcek with my regular eye doctor(not the one who preformed the surgery) that if this indeed could be a symtom of Glaucoma.

Please let me know your findings and I will do the same.

Thanks
Mike
Mike

Postby Rainora » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:15 pm

Yes, I have heard too that the feeling of pressure might be a symptom of glaucoma. However, I had LASEK, not LASIK, and it should't have the risk of damaging the interior of the eye, since no suction ring is applied. After the surgery, I used steroid drops for a few months in my left eye, since the doctor felt that it had a greater risk of haze. For my right eye, I only used them for a month or so. My eye pressure was never measured, not before or after the surgery. I found that strange, but the nurse explained that I was so young that it was not necessary. Since then I have been wondering, if the drops may have caused my eye pressure to elevate. For some reason I'm also worried about the possible effect of elevated eye pressure and thinned cornea, beacuse the laser removed quite a lot of my corneal tissue. Because of that, this astigmatism-issue freaks me out. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.
Rainora

Postby Mike » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:33 pm

Hello,

I think it is a good idea to get a check-up just to make sure.

In my case along with my pressure on one eye when I bend down, I also have a pressure on the my neck (tension in the back of neck) on the same side. Now I am wondering if these 2 are related. It started after the Lasik.

-Mike
Mike

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:37 am

A comprehensive examination of the health of your eyes including a check of the internal ocular pressure (IOP) is warranted. Long term steroid use can, and often does, raise IOP and can be problematic. Contact your eye doctor at your earliest convenience.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago