Help... Wavelight Eye-Q versus Visx S4 IR for me!

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Help... Wavelight Eye-Q versus Visx S4 IR for me!

Postby bbjap » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:14 pm

Hi, i noticed a similar thread below, but i was wondering if anyone had an opinion for my particular eye circumstances...

-6.25,-1.25 with thickness of 550 pupil of 6.9mm
-6.50,-1.25 with thickness of 560 pupil of 7mm

I'm leaning toward PRK (i've had an asymtomatic retinal tear in both eyes that have been fixed and is stable, but i was told that the intralase technique would unnecessarily raise the IOP of the eye that may induce another tear) so i'll lean toward PRK.

I originally went to a center that has both the Wavelight Eye-Q and the Visx S4IR and after the assessment they said that i was a great candidate for Lasik or PRK and that they would recommend the Eye-Q with the "wavefront Optimized" technique because of my pupil size of 7mm. It was all well and good. But to do my due diligence i went to a couple other centres to check them out.

The next centre has the visx S4 IR (iLasik) and the older Wavelight allegretto (200mHz). They did a wavescan here during assessment (i'm not sure if the other center did a wavescan or not...) but at this centre they said that i had a higher order aberation RMS of 0.37 in one eye and 0.40 in the other. BECAUSE of this higher order aberation score they said that i NEEDED to do a "wavefront GUIDED" technique. And because of this i needed to do it with the VISX S4 IR because of the special Wavefront guided features (fourier, etc). I asked about the pupil size question and they said it was a non factor, that they routine go over the 6mm optical zone ablation with the laser, but they didn't say to me that they would go 7mm or higher.

I'm concerned now. ON one hand the wavelight eye-q can definately ablate large enough to have an Optical Zone ablation greater then my dilated 7mm. But the centre offering that will only do the wavefront OPTIMIZED technique (i'm not sure they even did a wavescan during assessment, but i'm sure they had to right?). On the other hand i seem to be in the population that would BENEFIT from a wavefront GUIDED technique because of my HOA score. BUT on that laser i don't know if they can ablate large enough to cover my 7mm pupils...

ANY THOUGHTS?... it would be GREATLY apprciated. THANKS!!!
bbjap

Re: Help... Wavelight Eye-Q versus Visx S4 IR for me!

Postby bbjap » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:50 am

No opinions?
bbjap

Return to Thinking About It