2 Years out

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

2 Years out

Postby Joseph » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:15 am

I had a follow-up appointment today for my procedure. It has been two years. I wrote about it in detail on this website:

viewtopic.php?t=1430#p6870

I had VisX CustomVue Lasik on 12-26-07 in the office of a local board certified Ophthalmologist. My procedure was for monovision. I had my left eye corrected for reading up close, and my right eye corrected for distance. Before the procedure, wore glasses or contacts for over 40 years.

I have been very happy with the results. People ask me about the monovision aspect of it. To this day, if I think about the idea that one eye sees close and the other far, I do notice the difference. When I don't think about it, I really don't notice.

There I do have some of the starburst and halo effect while driving at night, but I tend to think it has to do with my left eye being "blurry".

I watch TV in bed at night with the television straight ahead. Sometimes I'll pick up a glass of water and take a sip and for a second will block my right eye and I'm always kind of stunned because the TV is blurry all of a sudden. That's not a big deal, just an example of how seldom I notice there is any difference this long after the procedure.

The Doctor said that everything looked great. I was able to read lines with either eye beyond what he expected. On my close eye, I was almost clear enough to pass a vision test for driving. There is a spot, probably about 3' out where it seems like both eyes are reasonably sharp.

I thought back when I had the procedure done that at some point I'd want to get glasses for when I'm doing a lot of reading, or a contact to wear in my left eye so both eyes would be sharp if I was going to drive a long distance, but it's never been an issue, so I've never done that.

I had this done right after my 49th birthday. I'll be 51 next week. I feel like I was at a point where my eyes were not changing that much anymore. I had lost enough close vision to where I was having to carry around reading glasses to wear with my contacts, that allowed me to see distance. I was sitting in the office waiting for my appointment today reading a magazine, and thought about how I had just given that kind of thing up before getting my eyes done. I just wasn't used to carrying around reading glasses all the time. I had them at home, and would use them for things like reading a newspaper or a book, but mostly I would just avoid close reading.

He asked me how often I was using eyedrops. I used to use them frequently (more than daily) when I wore contacts. I really hadn't thought about it, but I never use eyedrops anymore. I just haven't felt like I needed them, or that my eyes have been dry and uncomfortable.

It really has changed my day to day life, and two years out, I'm still glad I did it. I'd get it done again, and I would get monovision again.
Joseph

Return to Had It A While Ago