not adjusting to monovision

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

not adjusting to monovision

Postby Chicky Monkey » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:15 pm

I'm 42, had my surgery 9/22 with the right (dominant) eye corrected for distance and the left eye for near. Having worn a high prescription for 25 years, I was eager to gain as much freedom from contacts or glasses as possible. (sound familiar?) :-)

I'm having trouble adjusting to the lack of clarity from about 20-25 feet out. My most recent appt with my surgeon was 12/9 and I explained to him I couldn't see people's faces clearly in my staff meetings, can't see the power point presentations up on the big screen, can't see the TIVO guide on the TV at the end of our bed. I avoid driving at night because it's downright scary! He said I am a person "who prefers clarity" Huh? Doesn't everyone? I go to the grocery store and I can't see the words on the signs in the aisles! Of COURSE I PREFER CLARITY!

At this appt they did the autorefraction, but also did the regular refraction, where I choose whaddya like better 1 or 2 and I see I've got a ways to go to be crisp in both eyes. Too much to ask, right? Sigh. I know I should have asked what I'm at right now! I was at OD -6.0 and OS -5.75, so it IS a big improvement. And I CAN see the 20/20 line, that is true...but "seeing" it and making out the letters is one thing, having them be clear and crisp is entirely another thing. In contacts, they didn't just get you to "ok, you can make out the 20/20 line..you're good, bye!"

I told him I can't stand that I can't see across my livingroom and not have it be crisp like it used to be. I guess I was naive in thinking I could have it all! But now I want the monovision reversed. Both he and my husband think I may be making a mistake and that I will miss my close up vision more than my distance vision (when it goes that is--to date I haven't experienced a noticable loss of close up vision).

So I found spare specs on line www.spare-specs.com with a clear lens on the distance side and a mild correction on the near side so I can at least drive at night. And my understanding is that someday, I will need readers for close up stuff anyway as my near correction is for "computer distance". So I had lasik to end up with glasses to help with distance and glasses to help with close up? Ugh!

He says I'm still healing and I go back in 6 wks on Feb 3 which will be over 4 months healing time and right now I have every intention to tell him to fix the near eye for distance. Be able to see distance and deal with readers when the time comes. Seems like the best option? Get down to one pair of helper glasses rather than 2?

Help! Has anyone experienced this with monovision? What would YOU do? Give up the close up and wear readers for more clarity in the distance vision? Did anyone go back and reverse their monovision? How was the outcome?

Hoping for some answers,
Chicky Monkey

Re: not adjusting to monovision

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:38 pm

Chicky Monkey wrote:Of COURSE I PREFER CLARITY!

We all prefer clarity, but after about the age of 40 when presbyopia starts to have an effect, the best we can expect is clarity at one distance. Monovision is a work-aound, but it is still a trade-off. Even with monovision, excellent clarity at all distances is nearly impossible. Functional vision and most distances is likely for those who tolerate the monovision well.

Chicky Monkey wrote:And I CAN see the 20/20 line, that is true...but "seeing" it and making out the letters is one thing, having them be clear and crisp is entirely another thing.

You are not the first to be considered a "success" because you can recognize known black sharp-edged letters on a white background in a controlled lighting environment, regardless of the full quality of vision.

Chicky Monkey wrote:I guess I was naive in thinking I could have it all!

Perhaps, but not naive to try.

Chicky Monkey wrote:But now I want the monovision reversed. Both he and my husband think I may be making a mistake and that I will miss my close up vision more than my distance vision (when it goes that is--to date I haven't experienced a noticable loss of close up vision).

The doctor and your husband are both correct. Before you do anything more, wear contact lenses that give you 100% distance correction all day and every day for at least three consecutive weeks. You may find the lack of near vision function to be less tolerable than your current vision.

Chicky Monkey wrote:So I had lasik to end up with glasses to help with distance and glasses to help with close up? Ugh!

This can be the result of Lasik after the age of 40. You get good distance at one distance, but not at others...even with monovision.

Chicky Monkey wrote: Be able to see distance and deal with readers when the time comes.

That time will be immediately after you have full distance correction. Read about reading glasses after Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Chicky Monkey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:26 am

Thanks for your comments, you've given me some things to think about.

I've never lost my close up vision, so I'm not sure how miserable I would be without it...and you're right, maybe it is better to be able see up close! I did not realize that if I corrected the near eye for distance I would need readers immediately. I thought it would be down the road so I thank you for that info!

I wonder if there isn't a problem with my distance eye...that it wasn't corrected fully. I was at a party at someone's house a week ago, and not being able to see across a livingroom and see people's faces seems ridiculous to me. Like that "distance" eye isn't really doing it's job. Seems like "distance" should be more than just 20 feet, ya know?

And I will definitely wear a contact before I make any final decision to have the monovision reversed. I do know that if I don't have it reversed, I WILL need glasses for distance situations and night driving.

Thanks for your input.
Chicky Monkey

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:45 pm

Chicky Monkey wrote:I wonder if there isn't a problem with my distance eye...that it wasn't corrected fully.

Monovision commonly requires a bit of tweaking. This is why we so strongly recommend trying monovision with contact lenses before having monovision surgery. Also, there are variables in the final outcome of the surgery. If the distance eye is not correct, or if the undercorrected eye is not undercorrected enough or too undercorrected, the balance necessary for successful monovision may be missed. This balance is unique to each individual. I personally went through several different powers of contact lenses until finding what worked for me, then that was the target for my vision correction surgery.

After age 40 we all need to become accustomed to poor vision quality at some distance, no matter what attempt we make to work around presbyopia.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Chicky Monkey » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:25 pm

I got my spare specs in today. I ordered them with the right lens clear (distance eye) and the left lens -1.50. With them on, the left eye sees distance perfectly, but the right eye is blurry.

I suspect this is why I'm unhappy with my monovision results. My distance eye is not clear. Since it's the only eye seeing distance, having it be better corrected for distance is critical and appears to be the root of my problems.

I think with an enhancement to the distance eye, I would likely be very happy with my monovision and wouldn't want to reverse it.

I must say, I thought that right eye was perfect for about a month, until it seemed to regress.

Not giving up yet!
Chicky Monkey

Postby mcmandy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:13 am

I had monovision lasik done about 3 weeks ago and have been struggling a great deal. I was never informed there would be an adjustment period of approximately 6-8 weeks. At this point I wonder if my eyes will ever adjust appropriately. It's very difficult to focus at most distances, close and far. I've worn glasses for 37 years and SO looked forward to a life with out them, but now I wish I never did this surgery. I will continue to pray for a miraculous change for myself in the next 3-5 weeks and for you to be able to adjust to monovision as well. Miracles DO HAPPEN!
mcmandy

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:06 am

Remember that if you are unable to tolerate monovision that your surgeon can fully correct the undercorrected eye and you would just wear reading glasses for near vision.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ToolBoy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:32 am

I couldn't take that monovision thing, and I didn't originally try for it (just ended up that way), but they say women handle it better than men. May be that I like to have perfect vision while looking at girls on the beach, and golfing, and I figure I'm smart enough anyways, but...

Back to reality, I'll take the readers anyday, as long as I can see in the distance. But everyone is different. I don't think highly left-brained people handle monovision as well.

Probably be a smart decision to give it about 8 months or so before you figure it out, and get your left eye and right eye numbers, and study up a bit. Took me 6 months before the stabilization.
ToolBoy

Return to Just Had It