A week since my Lasik - Vision Hazy/Cloudy

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

A week since my Lasik - Vision Hazy/Cloudy

Postby Remember2 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:19 pm

I had Lasik a week ago tomorrow. I had it done with the iFS Laser. The next morning, my vision test went well and I read 20/15, but I have been extremely hazy and cloudy all week. On Friday I was nervous about the persistent haze and I called the surgeon Dr's office and went in to get looked at. The Dr. looked at my eyes and said that I am dryer than normal and that could be contributing to the haze and said that I am still healing. He didn't seem to think anything was wrong. He said I should use gels instead of just regular drops, so I have been doing that along with the ointments and have even been taking flaxseed oil pills because i am told that helps. Nothing has worked so far. The best way to describe the feeling is that it feels like I am wearing a dirty or old pair of contact lenses. sometimes it is less hazy than other times. Is this normal? Do most people experience this haziness in the first week, and how long does it take to clear up?

I guess i thought i would walk out of the surgery with a little discomfort and then be 100% in a day or 2, but this is annoying and I am worried.

I have my originally scheduled week after post-op appointment with my regular eye doctor tomorrow and I definitely want to pick his brain.
Remember2

Re: A week since my Lasik - Vision Hazy/Cloudy

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:32 am

Dry eye after Lasik is the most commonly reported problem and can present vision as you describe. You should read about Lasik dry eye treatment for ideas to resolve the problem and to be prepared when you meet with your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Remember2 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:36 pm

good to hear that is probably just dry eye and not something more serious, but it is quite annoying. i feel like i couldn't be doing any more than i already am to combat it. i am doing the restasis twice a day, taking flaxseed oil pills, i am constantly putting in Genteal Gel and I sleep with the Genteal P.M. Ointment.

i read one of your responses to a different post where you said that corneal haze is unlikely with an intralase procedure, so that made me feel a lot better.

How long does dry eye like this usually last? Could the haziness also be associated with "flap gap"?
Remember2

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:28 pm

The term "flap gap" is quite a misnomer. The cornea has a natural suction system. Oxygen passes from the atmosphere through the cornea. This passage creates a vacuum effect. Within a few moments after the Lasik flap is repositioned it has been sucked down onto the underlying cornea. This is why you can sit up and blink your eye without the flap being disturbed.

For most people Lasik related dry eye resolves within the normal six-month healing period. See Lasik Dry Eye Survey. The key is treating it so dry eye does not cause or exacerbate healing limitations.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Remember2 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:35 pm

thank you for your responses. i have also noticed that my right eye, which had the astigmatism, is not nearly as sharp as my left. is this because it had the astigmatism or is this a result of the healing process? is it common for one eye not to be as sharp as the other.

since the 4th grade, my right eye has had a much stronger prescription than my left eye and i thought they would be even after Lasik.
Remember2

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:13 am

It is common for one eye to recover at a different rate than the other. Your poor vision could be from the astigmatism or just the healing process, but poor vision from astigmatism is commonly more noticeable in low light environments.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Remember2 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:50 pm

so i went to the doctor yesterday for my 1 week post-op and he said that my cornea appears to be irritated at the point where my eye lid meets the cornea and that is likley causing some of my symptoms. he said this is likely a result of having dry eye because my natural tears are not cleaning the bacteria from my eyelid as well as it used to (also not helped by the fact that i had environmental dry eye prior to the surgery). he suggested that i use these medicated cleaning cloths to clean my eyelids in the morning when i wake up and at night before i go to sleep and he gave me a prescription for this drop to rub on my bottom eyelid every morning. I am supposed to go back on the 2nd. he says that this isn't anythign serious, that it isn't an issue with the flap or anything, and he thinks this will clear up the issues i am having.
Remember2

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:49 pm

It looks like the focus of your problem is on dry eye (pun intended). Your symptoms are consistent with dry eye and aggressive treatment will undoubtedly help.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Remember2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:43 pm

one thing i have noticed recently is some light sensitivity, especially in the morning. it subsides after a few hours, but on my morning drive i am squinting even with polarized sunglasses on.
Remember2

Return to Just Had It