Again about mopia and presbyopia

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Again about mopia and presbyopia

Postby ste71m » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:25 pm

I read your article about sudden presbyopia but i'm a little confused
I know myopia is an advantage and can mask presbyopia.
For example if my glasses are undercorrected 1D i won't need reading glasses until presbyopia is less 1D
What i really don't understand is: if i'm fully corrected (with glasses/contacts) and can read close up very well, can i expect the same after lasik?
Glenn suggested to try contacts that fully corrects myopia to test what vision would be after lasik.
So i suppose that if close vision with full correction is good i can expect the same after surgery.
Or there will be anyway a loose of close vision?
Thanks
ste71m

Re: Again about mopia and presbyopia

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:18 am

ste71m wrote:What i really don't understand is: if i'm fully corrected (with glasses/contacts) and can read close up very well, can i expect the same after lasik?

Very likely. yes. If your contacts correct your myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision 100%, and the Lasik corrects your myopia 100%, then your near vision should be virtually the same after Lasik as before Lasik with contacts.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby PRKorIntacs » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:08 am

I don't see so well up close with my distance glasses. My presbyopia is only going to get worse so im considering Intacs which can correct my -5 down to -2.
PRKorIntacs

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:43 pm

Very few surgeons provide Intacs for purely refractive purposes. They are used almost exclusively to stabilize keratoconus, a disease of the cornea. Laser assisted correction tends to be more reliably accurate.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby PRKorIntacs » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:42 pm

LasikExpert wrote:Very few surgeons provide Intacs for purely refractive purposes. They are used almost exclusively to stabilize keratoconus, a disease of the cornea. Laser assisted correction tends to be more reliably accurate.

There's several centers where I live that offer Intacs within 200 miles. There's an excellent doctor 100 miles from where I live, you probably have heard of him yourself. I have a thread on PRK vs. Intacs, there's much I can learn. Ive been told and read that Intacs was a far better option for low to moderate myopia.

Oh, I also want to mention that my right eye has irregular astigmatism and corrects to 20/30 to 20/50 with -4.5 glasses. Perhaps Intacs can improve this to match my 20/30 BCVA in my left eye. Of course my main objective is to improve my myopia and reduce my dependency on glasses. I also posted a long thread about this.
PRKorIntacs

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:17 am

Please report back with your results. Intacs for irregular astigmatism would be interesting.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby PRKorIntacs » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:49 am

LasikExpert wrote:Please report back with your results. Intacs for irregular astigmatism would be interesting.

I will when/if I get it. I am learning about Intacs and asking questions. My thread is shown below.

http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2291
PRKorIntacs

Return to Thinking About It