I just had LASIK on Feb 25th 2010

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

I just had LASIK on Feb 25th 2010

Postby bossboy2010 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:33 am

Hi All
I had the LASIK prodecure done on the 25th Feb in the Chevy Chase, MD area. First of all I'd like to say I am EXTREMELY delighted and happy with the surgery. It feels like I have been given a new life with these new pair of eyes. I had been scouring this forum and other forums and reading as much as I can about the LASIK , the stories of people, the goods and the bads. But most often the good part of finally going under the laser and getting it done.

So it wasn't until late last year 2009 I fully decided to take the plunge and go for LASIK. I had set aside 5000 dollars in my FSA and was committed. This is also before I even went for a consultation. My optometrist had assured me that I was a good candidate but still it was risky to set aside all that money (I guess if I was not a good candidate, I would use it for 2 dental implants and other medical expenses).

So I went it for the consultation early Feb. and after few tests like checking for corneal thickness, make sure pupils dialate the right amount, vision check, My surgeon informed me I was a good candidate and I said ok let's proceed to the surgery date. We set up the date on Feb 25th 2010. As that week approached, I was slowly getting nervous everyday leading up the to THE day, Thursday the 25th. On wednesday, I was told to take Vigamox 4 times a day and bring in the drops, along with 5 pill of Ativan to the office.

I was a bit nervous but surprisingly on the day, and the hours leading upto it, I didn't feel too nervous at all. I was strong minded and trusted the surgeon and the techs. There were 2 other people waiting in the room with me to get their eyes done as well. People have explained the actual process of the surgery so I won't even go detail by detail of that but I would add it was so fast. I was maybe in the laser suite for maybe less than 5 minutes compared to almost 1.5 hours of waiting and the tech explaining to me what would I experience in the laser suite and post op directions.

I am pretty sure the surgeon had said he uses Intralase wavefront technology.

One of the nice techs calls me in, I lie down and he puts in a lot of numbing drops in my eyes - I believe he said 4 per eye. Honestly, I don't even remember in detail or sequence of what happened after that. I just kind of wanted to hurry it all up so I could see clearly after the process was done. I DO however recall when the surgeon held open my eyes with that instrument, it felt really tickling. My right eye was done first while my left eye was closed with a tape. It wasn't closed hard at all, it felt quite comfortable. So my right eye was wide open, obviously the reaction is to try to close but i Could not. Then I saw some blinking lights, the surgeon asked me to only focus on the green light, keep my chin up a bit and look straight and do not move the head. So some suction ring was placed around the eye, my vision went dark, and I guess that's when the flap was cut and made? I did feel some pressure at this point but nothing too unbearable. I saw some more lights, he told me to look at the green light and I believe around that time the laser did its work for about 10 seconds. And I guess he put the flap back on and I got some more drops in the eye.

Same thing happened with left eye but as the tech explained, people feel a little bit more pressure when the second eye goes under and that was true.
So when it was all done quickly, my vision was cloudy/hazy, the tech asked me to read the time and BOY! i could read the clock just fine, I could see his face SO clearly. What an amazing feeling that was. I couldn't believe it was really happening. They had asked me to put on sunglasses and leave my eyes closed for a bit. I was waiting in another waiting room for some minutes and then surgeon asks me to come into another room so he could check out the flap and he said they both looked Excellent. Next day, which is today, I'd have to see my optometrist for a follow-up.

My dad drove me home, I was already feeling sleepy from the 2 ativans I took, and as soon as I got home, i slept. I had a great 6 hour nap, when I woke up - my goodness it was SO clear. I felt no scratchiness, no blurry vision I had, no dry eyes, no pressure or anything. It kind of felt like nothing was done to my eyes. It seriously felt like a miracle. My dad woke me up, I went down to eat some food. I was looking all around as I was walking down, and I could see plantss and windows far away clearly, and see the pictures on the walls VERY clearly.

I was told to put on some eye protective shields around both eyes to avoid rubbing at night. They kind of look weird but I taped both of them to forehand and cheek bone to make them stay in place. I will have to wear the night shields for about 4 nights. I have to take Vigamox and Steroid drops for 4 days and dry eye drops Systane as needed.

The next morning (today) was great, I saw everything so clearly, especially When I went outside, the whole world felt new and sharper. It felt like I was back in 1996 when I had 20/20 vision. I went to my optometrist and he made me read the eye chart and I registerered 20/20 vision. Again so far I have not had any issues. Just sometimes when I am on the PC for long, I may get some dry eyes but that's about it. Night driving was great, I had NO problem at all. MAN I am so delighted, so so excited. I feel reborn!! My vision does fluctuate JUST A LITTLE but I hope in few days or week, It will stabilize even more. I have another follow-up next Friday.
Please people if you are good candidates, get this done! This cost me over 5000 dollars, it's worth every penny so far!
Good luck to all, good luck to the future candidates.

I apologize for long post, I didn't want to be this long, I don't feel like deleting anything though.
--Sharad
bossboy2010

Re: I just had LASIK on Feb 25th 2010

Postby bossboy2010 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:47 am

Oh I will add that I was -4.75 in both eyes, no astigatism.
Also I was thinking too much about tennis, i meant to say i taped the night shield on the foreHEAD and lower part on the cheeks to keep it in place.
bossboy2010

Postby PRKorIntacs » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience. I am looking into Intacs or PRK myself. Ill be correcting my -5 myopia to -2 with Intacs or -1 with PRK so I can reduce my dependancy on glasses by 75% without needing reading glasses. I spend most of my time on the computer.
PRKorIntacs

Postby bossboy2010 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:48 am

Good luck to you. It's worth it, I hope you are a candidate. I am loving my new eyes! :)
bossboy2010

Return to Just Had It