Astigmatism after PRK

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Astigmatism after PRK

Postby Hammer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:34 pm

I had PRK 5 weeks ago. I did not have astigmatism before hand (I was about -4.50 nearsighted in both eyes), and now I have .50 astigmatism in both eyes but my refraction is 0.

My doctor gave me glasses and they work wonderfully, but without them I can't see at all.

So what's the deal? I'm guessing that I don't have an irregular astigmatism (since glasses fix it), but isn't a .50 astigmatism pretty bad for post-surgery? Is this likely to get better? The vision and the astigmatism have remained unchanged since 1 week post surgery.
Hammer

Re: Astigmatism after PRK

Postby PRKorIntacs » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:08 pm

That's unusual. I have -5 myopia and -0.5 regular astigmatism and my glasses don't correct for the tiny astigmatism and I see fine. I do also have some irregular astigmatism which is why I correct to 20/30 with glasses. May I ask what 20/xx you see without and with glasses? Isn't your vision way better after PRK than before with your -4.5 myopia? I am considering PRK or Intacs. I do not expect to be free of glasses, but be able to see much better without glasses and reduce my dependancy on glasses.
PRKorIntacs

Postby Hammer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:32 am

I'm about 20/80 without glasses, but 20/20 with them. I mean, I see light years better than I did before surgery, but I'm still dependent on glasses.
Hammer

Postby PRKorIntacs » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:58 pm

Hammer wrote:I'm about 20/80 without glasses, but 20/20 with them. I mean, I see light years better than I did before surgery, but I'm still dependent on glasses.

How much myopia do you still have?
PRKorIntacs

Postby Hammer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:43 pm

No more myopia. My vision would be perfect if not for the astigmatism. A funny result is that the lower letters on the eye chart are easier to read; because they're so small, the two images I'm seeing completely separate, whereas the images of the larger letters overlap one another.
Hammer

Postby PRKorIntacs » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:48 am

I had a consultation on March 25 and I have -.75 astigmatism in one eye and -1.25 in the other and my glasses don't even correct for it and I see fine in the -.75 astigmatism eye with just the -5 myopia correction. Correcting the -.75 astigmatism improves my BCVA from 20/30 to 20/27 or so. Very little difference really. I would think you should see at least 20/25 without correction and 20/20 with. You can wear glasses as little or as much as you want. I know I will still need glasses after PRK, I just won't need them much("reduced dependancy") and see far, far, far better than the 20/800 I currently see. I just wish people were told the truth that youll see better and be less dependant on glasses but you won't see perfect and it's not realistic to expect perfect vision. Wouldn't you still say you came out way ahead, even if your vision isn't quite perfect? Ill be happy to be anything better than the -5 and 20/800, honestly!
PRKorIntacs

Postby Paul » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:30 am

PRKorIntacs wrote:I had a consultation on March 25 and I have -.75 astigmatism in one eye and -1.25 in the other and my glasses don't even correct for it and I see fine in the -.75 astigmatism eye with just the -5 myopia correction. Correcting the -.75 astigmatism improves my BCVA from 20/30 to 20/27 or so. Very little difference really. I would think you should see at least 20/25 without correction and 20/20 with. You can wear glasses as little or as much as you want. I know I will still need glasses after PRK, I just won't need them much("reduced dependancy") and see far, far, far better than the 20/800 I currently see. I just wish people were told the truth that youll see better and be less dependant on glasses but you won't see perfect and it's not realistic to expect perfect vision. Wouldn't you still say you came out way ahead, even if your vision isn't quite perfect? Ill be happy to be anything better than the -5 and 20/800, honestly!

I agree with you but in my pre-op research on the internet and through clinic information, it was always very clear (no pun intended) that the achievable results will vary. My eyes are still healing from +4.5 hyperopia and I can now see well enough that I can get through MOST of the day without needing glasses. Currently I sometimes need them for driving but for reading, TV and daily life and can get along without them. Whereas pre-op I was 100% dependent on my specs.

Personally, I am over the moon.
Paul

Postby PRKorIntacs » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:45 am

Paul wrote:I agree with you but in my pre-op research on the internet and through clinic information, it was always very clear (no pun intended) that the achievable results will vary. My eyes are still healing from +4.5 hyperopia and I can now see well enough that I can get through MOST of the day without needing glasses. Currently I sometimes need them for driving but for reading, TV and daily life and can get along without them. Whereas pre-op I was 100% dependent on my specs.

Your high hyperopia makes you a difficult case. Most lasik centers I read of can only treat up to +3 or +4. Regression is common and you may end slightly hyperopic. Do you plan to get an enhancement if you are still hyperopic? Have you gotten to 20/40 yet? I am aiming for a -1d or 20/40 distance in order to preserve most of my near vision and see without reading glasses.
PRKorIntacs

Postby Paul » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:38 am

PRKorIntacs wrote:
Paul wrote:I agree with you but in my pre-op research on the internet and through clinic information, it was always very clear (no pun intended) that the achievable results will vary. My eyes are still healing from +4.5 hyperopia and I can now see well enough that I can get through MOST of the day without needing glasses. Currently I sometimes need them for driving but for reading, TV and daily life and can get along without them. Whereas pre-op I was 100% dependent on my specs.

Your high hyperopia makes you a difficult case. Most lasik centers I read of can only treat up to +3 or +4. Regression is common and you may end slightly hyperopic. Do you plan to get an enhancement if you are still hyperopic? Have you gotten to 20/40 yet? I am aiming for a -1d or 20/40 distance in order to preserve most of my near vision and see without reading glasses.

I don't want to hijack someone else's topic. You can read my diary here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2305
Paul

Return to Just Had It