Lasik in 98' and considering an enhancement?

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Lasik in 98' and considering an enhancement?

Postby mccracwm » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:01 pm

I had lasik in 1998. I was 20/15 both eyes with no complications. In 2004 my left eye begin to get dry and blurry(at times). I was given plugs and restasis, which seemed to help. In the last six months my night vision seems to have regressed. I had my vission checked again and I am -.75 in my left eye and -.25 in my right eye. Day time vision is okay if I am outside. Inside, like at the mall, vision seems blurry. I have two quetions:

1. Should I consider an enhancement.

2. Would I be a candidate for contacts
mccracwm

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:08 am

Lingering or even new dry eye problems may be contributing to your poor vision. Dry eye management is very important to your vision quality.

The 0.75 diopter eye may (huge emphasis on may) be appropriate for enhancement surgery, but the 0.25 is not, in my opinion. If you are getting close to age 40, you would probably be best served to leave the small amount of myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision alone because it can help with the effects of presbyopia (when you need reading glasses).

If the dry eye is managed, contacts may be the best choice. Also, before you have surgery wear contacts with full correction for a few weeks to see what vision would actually be like if the target is reached. You may find the difference more, or less, important.

A comprehensive eye examination by a competent surgeon would give you good information to help in any decision.
Last edited by LasikExpert on Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby mccracwm » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:06 pm

I am 34. I have glasses for my night driving and indoors. They corect my vision well. I just hate wearing them. I am in Ohio and my eyes seem much better in the summer months. No that it is getting cold, my left eyes is constantly blurred no matter how many drops, or warm cloths I put on my eye. I am a coffe and diet pop drinker. Would I benefit from quitting these drinks as I know they tend to dry you out?

Thanks your your reply-I will take your advice and see my Surgeon who performed my original surguery in 1998.
mccracwm

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:02 pm

Dry eye exacerbated by winter heating or even allergies could contribute to the problem. We have a detailed article about Lasik Dry Eye that has links to treatment suggestions.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago