My lasek

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

My lasek

Postby ste71m » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:00 pm

I had lasek in my left eye 02/25 and in right eye 03/04
I started with
Left Eye: -5.25 myopia -1.25 astigmatism
Right Eye: -5.50 myopia -0.25 astigmatism

I asked for a little undercorrection -0.25 in both eyes
Today i just had a checkup (1 month after left and 3 weeks after right) and my numbers are
Left Eye: -0.25 myopia
Right Eye: -0.50 myopia

While left eye vision was very clear 1 week after surgery, when protective lens was removed, rigjt eye seemed to heal slower
After 3 weeks is a little blurry when i stare at led lights.
Vision improves when i use artificial tears
Do you think i have space for improvements in my right eye after 3 weeks?
My surgeon said i can expect little changes like +-0.2/03
I know a difference of just -0.25 between eyes is not much but it makes a lot of difference when reading small text on tv
Thanks
ste71m

Re: My lasek

Postby PRKorIntacs » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:29 am

I had a consultation on March 25 and im going to ask for a -1 undercorrection. The optometrist says I have the accomodation of a 45 year old. -.25 or even -.5 isn't going to be enough for me. Your -.5 is helping you delay the need for reading glasses. -1 should let me avoid reading glasses except for fine print and I can expect to regress as I get older. Fine with me, my near vision will only improve. I don't mind the occasional need for thin distance glasses. What's your 20/xx in each eye now? Ive been told ill be about 20/50 with my planned -1 undercorrection which is still pretty good distance vision, will only need glasses for driving and I hate driving anyway.
PRKorIntacs

Postby ste71m » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:26 am

i don't know my xx/20 since here in italy is not used a lot
But i found this

Snellen

20/10 Plano (zero)
20/15 Plano
20/20 Plano to -0.25
20/30 -0.50

so it should be 20/20 on left eye and 20/30 on right one
ste71m

Postby ste71m » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:37 pm

PRKorIntacs wrote:I had a consultation on March 25 and im going to ask for a -1 undercorrection. The optometrist says I have the accomodation of a 45 year old. -.25 or even -.5 isn't going to be enough for me. Your -.5 is helping you delay the need for reading glasses. -1 should let me avoid reading glasses except for fine print and I can expect to regress as I get older. Fine with me, my near vision will only improve. I don't mind the occasional need for thin distance glasses. What's your 20/xx in each eye now? Ive been told ill be about 20/50 with my planned -1 undercorrection which is still pretty good distance vision, will only need glasses for driving and I hate driving anyway.

With -1D undercorrection you will not need glasses just for driving but also for reading small text on tv for example
Believe me with -0.5D small tv text is blurred. Anyway you can test it on your own
ste71m

Postby ste71m » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:59 pm

Please can someone tell me if experienced improvement in crispness 3 weeks after lasek?
Or improvement in residual myopia?
Thanks
ste71m

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:02 pm

At three weeks the epithelium should have thickened well and is now making the final changes for crispness. Residual myopia at this point is not likely to change, unless it is less than about 0.50 diopters. You may experience an improvement in vision quality at distances where objects are in focus. Discuss with your doctor if enhancement surgery is appropriate, but you should wait until about 3-6 months postop for additional surgery. If the residual myopia is significant enough to be problematic, then use corrective lenses until enhancement is viable..
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ste71m » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Glenn thanks for your reply
I would be happy if i could reach same crispness i have after using artificial tears
Is a reasonable expectation?
At 3 months mark i will discuss about a 'touch up' if vision does not improve
ste71m

Postby PRKorIntacs » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:29 am

ste71m wrote:
PRKorIntacs wrote:I had a consultation on March 25 and im going to ask for a -1 undercorrection. The optometrist says I have the accomodation of a 45 year old. -.25 or even -.5 isn't going to be enough for me. Your -.5 is helping you delay the need for reading glasses. -1 should let me avoid reading glasses except for fine print and I can expect to regress as I get older. Fine with me, my near vision will only improve. I don't mind the occasional need for thin distance glasses. What's your 20/xx in each eye now? Ive been told ill be about 20/50 with my planned -1 undercorrection which is still pretty good distance vision, will only need glasses for driving and I hate driving anyway.

With -1D undercorrection you will not need glasses just for driving but also for reading small text on tv for example
Believe me with -0.5D small tv text is blurred. Anyway you can test it on your own

I have a 65" TV so that's not a problem. My brother sees 20/60 without -1.25 glasses and he wears them for driving and sometimes in class. He has no interest in laser surgery for many good reasons. I would love to see as well as my brother and I think 20/60 is realistic. Ill need glasses as rarely as he does. I have computer glasses that undercorrect me to -1.75 and I wear those 75% of the time and distance glasses 25% of the time. Getting me to between -0.5 and -2.5 will mean around 75% reduction in glasses dependancy. I won't need reading glasses most of the time either. There's no point aiming for plano or -0.25 because I could end overcorrected and still need bifocals full time. Regression is common as well. I don't want reading glasses and a small undercorrection will address this. I will never be 100% free of glasses, so im going for 75%

Are you happy with your current vision? Don't you see clear with both eyes despite the tiny monovision? My mom's contact lens gives her -2 in one eye. I don't want monovision though, im going for -1 in both eyes. You mentioned thinking about enhancement, it's too early. Also you did ask for a tiny undercorrection. They can't enhance less than -1 because of the risks, including overcorrection. I am not getting enhanced unless I end up worse than -2.5 because I would be rolling the die again on what would be low myopia. We both know how being about -5 sucks. I put different power reading glasses over my distance glasses and found this: +1 reading glasses to simulate -1 results in very little blur. I can still see everything except tiny letters far out in the distance. -1 would basically sharpen the edges of normal size letters. I used to be a -1 when I was 12 and I rarely wore glasses. My brother rarely wears glasses.

If I end up -2 to -2.5 then yes ill need distance glasses full time. I started wearing distance glasses full time when my eyes got down to a -2, but could see the computer and read fine without glasses. I spend alot of time reading and on the computer so this means spending alot of time without glasses. I can't do that being a -5 because my focus is only 8 inches. Ill have one meter at -1 and half meter at -2 which is great. Being plano would mean seeing blurry at 1 meter or less and needing reading glasses many hours a day which is no good.
PRKorIntacs

Postby ste71m » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:14 pm

I'm very happy with my left eye(-0.25D) not so much with my right eye (-0.5D)
Since when i use tears vision improves a lot on right eye i hope that's blurry because of dry eye or uneven epithelium and will improve with time
Can't believe 0.25 D difference makes such a difference in vision
ste71m

Postby PRKorIntacs » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Must be the dry eyes and you are still healing. No way does -0.25 or -0.5 create more than minimal blur.
Even when I try +1 reading glasses over my distance glasses, there isn't much blur and I can still see.
Find out if the blur is occuring at near with and without the drops. How's your night vision in each eye?
PRKorIntacs

Return to Just Had It