Improvement between one week post surgery and months later

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Improvement between one week post surgery and months later

Postby cate Harty » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:18 pm

Thanks, Glenn, for your considered answers. I truly don't mean to pester you, and maybe there is no real answer which is why you haven't said specifically, but it is possible for an eye to correct itself more than one or two diopters from the vision experienced the first week after PRK after months of healing, or is it more likely only going to be .25/.50 kinds of shifts?
cate Harty

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:36 pm

2.00 diopters would be unusual. 1.00 diopter and less is much more probable, but the issue may not just be diopters.

12 microns of edema (swelling) would create a full 1.00 diopter of refractive change. That is likely after PRK. Two diopters would require 24 microns of edema and that is much less likely.

Edema is rarely uniform across the cornea. It is more likely to be in only parts of the cornea, which creates astigmatism and really reduces the quality of vision even if the edema is relatively low.

The smallest epithelial cell is about 5 microns across. That means that one cell would effect about 0.45 diopters of refractive error. Okay, it really is not one cell, but you get the idea. It does not take much for a lot of vision to be disrupted and all of your epithelium was removed for PRK.

If your vision with a manifest refraction (which is better, one or two?) is perfect when looking through that odd lens machine, then your vision problems relate to quantity - refractive error. If your best vision through the lens machine is still not optimum, then your vision problems relate to quality - irregular cornea or poor tear film. Corneal irregularity very likely relates to edema and epithelium healing.

This is a tough time for you. It is easy to wonder if you have made a huge mistake. The odds are in your favor and time is on your side.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby cate Harty » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:58 am

Now I get it. Fingers crossed.... The service you provide is invaluable. Thank you.
cate Harty

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:45 pm

I'm glad to be of assistance. Be sure to read Help Lasik Patients
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It