Boo! Ghosts scare me :,o (

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Boo! Ghosts scare me :,o (

Postby americais1984 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:24 am

Hi there! Let me start by saying that People who post questions, or issues in forums, and then not follow up on their condition are stupid awful people. I don't know how many Q&A forums I've seen where you are left with no answer or follow up! Bunch of self absorbed inconsiderate selfish ^ss clowns! I promise I will keep y'all updated on my progress, and a genuine heartfelt thanks to all who take the time to read and answer my post here!

Okay! I had wavefront Lasik (flap cut with microkeratome - not laser) about 10 days ago. Hours after the surgery I had fuzzy vision, halos, and starbursts (all normal, and expected temporary side effects) but I also noticed a troubling unexpected side effect. Double vision, or more accurately what I've learned is referred to as "ghosting" at the 8:00 position. I noticed it originally on the digital LED clock on the stove, then I noticed all the stars in the sky were doubled, along with LED lights in the house, and later I found ghost images next to street lights (day and night), and street signs (only at night - perfect in daylight). I was told by the ophthalmologist that double vision, or ghosting was rare, and we'd have to "hope" that it was just temporary. I was scared, and paranoid before going under the laser - and now I was kinda freaking out. I think there has been slight improvement, but it's very hard to gauge. I've noticed that if I focus on the LED next to the ghost I can kinda make them come together to form a single light, but it requires intense focus. I also try to affirm to my eyes - there is only ONE image, there is only ONE image! I also prayed a lot. I'm not the type of guy that prays often, but I wanted all the help I could get, and it sure couldn't hurt (I guess it could, if it pissed god off that I only pray when I need something he may want to smite me, but I digress). I've noticed that it's mostly in my right eye that I'm getting the ghosting from. What is referred to as Monocular Diplopia. From what I've read this can be caused by an off centered ablation of my cornea, which was a concern in my right eye during the procedure. The assistant said something about it to the surgeon, and afterwards the surgeon took me into the other room, looked at my eye through some lens with a light, and declared that we were good. From what I've read, being off center by as little as .5 mm can cause problems, and I have my doubts floating around in the back of my mind - especially because this would explain the ghosting - which by the way, the surgeon "doesn't know what would be causing my ghosting, or how we would fix it". I'm not mad at my ophthalmologist - nobody's perfect, but I am disappointed that I learn more from basic internet research than I can from him.

Fortunately the ghosting is very subtle, and it's only in low light (except traffic lights those have obvious ghosts day or night - especially red ones - right or left eye). Truthfully, the ghosting would just seem like glare if I wasn't obsessing over my vision, covering one eye - then the other - and looking for flaws in my vision. Night time street signs and their ghost images do almost completely align as I get closer to them (same thing with the traffic lights). The tv is fine except when it's a high contrast image, where I will see a outline of the ghost image alongside of whatever the highly contrasted image is. I hope this ghosting fades away with time, as it does bother me. I suspect my brain will just lean on my left eye, without ghost images, and ignore my right eye - leaving me with less depth perception. Whatever, nothing is perfect in life - big deal right? What do y'all think?

I think my script was -4 and -4.5 and is now +.25 and +.75. I'm off of my RX drops as of 3 days ago, but still using OTC drops for dry eye in the evening.
americais1984

Re: Boo! Ghosts scare me :,o (

Postby PRKorIntacs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:28 am

Your title made me laugh, but ghosts are indeed scary. :( hopefully they go away as you countine to heal. Do you have any astigmatism? Id try getting glasses at the one month point if the ghosts are still scaring you. Hopefully your +0.75 regresses, if not, id try reading glasses. Keep in touch and check out my threads.
PRKorIntacs

Postby americais1984 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:12 am

Thanks for the suggestion, and words of encouragement prkorintacts. I'm still having the ghosting, and I can't really gage if they are better or not. Has anybody here had the ghosts go away? How severe were they?
americais1984

Postby ltess » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:27 am

How are the ghosts? I hope they do go away for you. I have terrible halos arounf signs at night I hate it! Do you have any trouble with all lights having a glare and looking "flat?"
ltess

Postby americais1984 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:57 am

The ghosts are noticeably better (but certainly not gone) 2 1/2 weeks out. I've discovered that I can squint them away, which gives me a lot of hope. I have been praying alot, and doing positive affirmations towards eye health: My eyes are healing, and getting better; I can imagine blood flowing to them and healing them. Might seem a tad unconventional, but the fact of the matter is you can help your body heal with your mind. Anybody hear of the placebo effect? God works in mysterious ways, don't quit before the miracle, and have faith that no matter what - everything is going to be alright (it will - no matter what! Even if your issues are permanent, you will adjust - life will go on). It's easy to fall in the self pity trap, and freak out, but the more you affirm how bad things are the more you will reinforce negativity upon yourself physiologically. I don't mean to come across as a holy roller - but this has become a spiritual experience for me, full of lessons. My intuition was to not get this surgery, and these scary (though probably temporary) complications are a reminder to respect the messages I am given.

I do have some glare with street lights, and road signs illuminated by the headlights of my car, and starbursting - but those are to be expected in early post lasik, and I had starbursting with my glasses anyway. Indoor lighting though is pretty crisp already, and at brightly lit stores everything is real crisp.

For those of you reading this and stressing remember:
"If there is something that can be done to correct the problem - don't worry it can be corrected, If there is nothing that can be done about it - don't worry, nothing can be done about it" I don't remember who said this, but it's worth remembering.
americais1984

Postby davidmartinomalley » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Please let me know how this goes for you - I have a similar experience, and my surgery was 5 days ago (April 8 2010). I've been told it's from micro folds and that in time they heal (or get better). I'm hoping that's the case.

Cheers,

David
davidmartinomalley

Postby americais1984 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:35 pm

Well, my ghosts really haven't improved much at all. However, I don't notice them very much any more, my eyes have adapted I think.
americais1984

Return to Just Had It