3 weeks post intralase starbursts and haloes! please advise!

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

3 weeks post intralase starbursts and haloes! please advise!

Postby ma098568 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:19 pm

hello,

I've been having some problems with starbursts (same in both eyes) in dim light or night. im a young guy in perfect health and I had a -2.50 in both eyes and had the intralase procedure done 3 weeks and 4 days ago at a very reputable place. the surgeon and everyone else is telling me that these things go away in time and it is very rare that they remain in lasik patients.

right now i have excellent vision during the day. even at night its pretty decent. however, around sources of light im having starbursts and haloes. they arent debilitating, as i can still see but its extremely disturbing to not be able to look at a light and see whats normal. even something as simple like looking at the little LED light on my cable box. there are streaks of light emanating from the light source as a starburst. if i turn the light on little by little or even squint, the streaks/starbursts start to recede and i can see the way i should be able to normally.

i really want to believe that these things will vanish or even diminish but everything in my gut and instinct is telling me something is wrong here. am i just obsessing or are these problems im experiencing, for the vast majority of lasik patients, likely to eventually diminish? did i make a huge mistake, because im starting to question my sanity for having this procedure now.
ma098568

Re: 3 weeks post intralase starbursts and haloes! please advise!

Postby PRKorIntacs » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:34 pm

How large are your pupils? Mine are 8mm and im worried about that. If I still go ahead, I can expect the same.
PRKorIntacs

Postby ma098568 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:01 am

LasikExpert, any advise or knowledge you can offer about this? (dont remember pupil size)
ma098568

Postby browneyedgirl70 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:28 pm

I had thin flap Lasik (Intralase) done on March 16, 2010, so I am 2 weeks and 2 days out. I have large pupils (8.2 avg on wavescan), and knew going into the surgery that I might have issues with my night vision. My HOA's on wavescan were 5.0% OD and 3.9% OS prior to surgery. I discussed my particular risk with my doctor, and he actually said that I might have issues with starbursting and haloes for about three days after surgery. I didn't really buy that it would be that limited since I had a bit of starbursting, and even some streaking in my right eye, prior to surgery. I accepted the risk, and part of my reasoning is that he must not have thought it would be that bad if it would be limited to three days in his opinion!

I do have some halos and starbursting, but it is not even close to being debilitating. I can drive after dark with no issues at all. I also have streaking from lights such as the LED that you describe, and even some streaking from the TV. It is annoying, and I really do hope that it clears up. I am just so glad to be free of glasses and contacts, though, and I am remaining positive about this.

You can see my other posts in Thinking About It (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2304) and in Just had It (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2309&start=0).
browneyedgirl70

Postby ma098568 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:48 pm

thanks for sharing. do they also fade almost immediately after you turn the lights on?
ma098568

Postby Paul » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:02 am

One of my colleagues who had the same surgery, and my own doctor advised that the halo / starburst effect could take a few months to clear up. My surgery for hyperopia was done 2010 March 11 and I still have this - I am not concerned yet as I know my vision has not stabilized yet.
Paul

Postby ma098568 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:24 am

thanks for your reply paul.

i went to my normal eye doc today for a second opinion, since he does not perform lasik. he said it looks like my surgeon did a very good job; the flaps are secure and im seeing 20/20 in light and dark. he also agreed that the starbursts usually go away especially in someone of my low Rx (-2.50). He said give it another 6-8 weeks (i am 1 month out right now) and that if it doesnt go away by then, there is a good chance im just an unlucky one and it'll be more of a permanent thing.
ma098568

Return to Just Had It