Large pupils 8mm and my problems

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Large pupils 8mm and my problems

Postby emporer » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:28 pm

I had my Lasik 9 months ago, after seeing various opto's at my clinic for the last few months the one today tells me I have large pupils of 8mm and thats my problem, hence the great vision during the day but poor at night with loads of ghosting/glare etc. Now I did a bit of research before I went ahead with it and this was one thing that really concerned me, I remember on my consultation asking the person if my pupils would cause a problem and were they large and they just said my pupils were absolutely fine for Lasik.

Of course now i'm all healed and left like this I dont think there is anything left I can do, is there any treatment for this problem?

If I could go back i'd pay anything to have my glasses back.
emporer

Re: Large pupils 8mm and my problems

Postby emporer » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:51 pm

just to add that Optical Express here in the UK use the VISX S4IR laser, reading up about it doesnt give me confidence with my pupil size
emporer

Postby PRKorIntacs » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:55 am

I read your other posts. You were around -2.25 with astigmatism(how much?) you got standard lasik(why not wavefront?) how large was your optical and transition zones? Your large pupils and coma HOAs are causing a problem in low lights. If you do decide on wavefront enhancement, do your worse eye first. There's no guarantee itll improve, but it's your choice if you want to try.
PRKorIntacs

Postby emporer » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:07 am

I went for standard Lasik as my prescription wasn't anything out of the ordinary and the cost was about 3.5 times less! My thinking was that standard Lasik did just fine for everybody for years until Wavefront came along so I went with that. Tbh i'm not convinced now that its anything to do with the actual Lasik or Coma, i'm now lloking at the fact I have large pupils and wether or not they should have done the surgery in the first place due to this, if they had told me in the beginning that I had large pupils then i'd have gone out of there with my money and eyes intact. They lied to me at the consultation when I specifically asked about large pupils and they said mine were just perfect for Lasik.

At my appointment yesterday they made up some small lenses using the laser machine to my wavescan from a couple of weeks ago and these lenses didnt make any difference at all so i'm sure further surgery wouldn't be beneficial to me. I think i'm now destined to be like this for the rest of my days due to the sheer incompetence and corporate greed of Optical Express.
emporer

Postby browneyedgirl70 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:34 pm

My pupils are an average of 8.2mm and my doctor felt I would not have any night vision issues beyond just a few days. I knew from personal research that I was more likely to have issues from my large pupil size, and I had a high correction, too, so I didn't entirely believe that it would be that limited! I do have some starbursting and halos, but I do not consider them to be very bad and they do not bother me a great deal. I am just so glad to be free from contacts and glasses. I am just three weeks post-op, and they still seem to be improving some, too. I am sorry you are having such issues and are regretting your decision. Pupil size alone, though, must not be a good predictor, and I did have wavefront, so perhaps that did make a difference as well.
browneyedgirl70

Postby PRKorIntacs » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:32 am

emporer wrote:I went for standard Lasik as my prescription wasn't anything out of the ordinary and the cost was about 3.5 times less!

Was it one of those discount $499/eye lasers? There's a good reason standard lasik is cheap. My lasik center charges $1999/eye for the latest and greatest wavefront laser. I would never settle for standard lasik using an older visx s3 or Nidek laser. My choice is the Allegretto laser which is the best laser in America.

My thinking was that standard Lasik did just fine for everybody for years until Wavefront came along so I went with that.

This isn't true from what I read. Yes some people do allright on standard lasik and end 20/20 but the risks are higher and outcomes not as good as wavefront on the best lasers. Standard lasik is cheap today because it's old technology. Wavefront lasik will be cheap when something better comes out.

Tbh i'm not convinced now that its anything to do with the actual Lasik or Coma, i'm now lloking at the fact I have large pupils and wether or not they should have done the surgery in the first place due to this

My lasik center has done people with 8mm pupils no problem. They use a huge 6.5mm ablation with 9.2mm transition zone and use wavefront to reduce the HOAs. He said that poor night vision is rare nowdays if you use the best lasers such as the Allegretto. I will do more research on this, but I know my risks are higher anyway.

If they had told me in the beginning that I had large pupils then i'd have gone out of there with my money and eyes intact. They lied to me at the consultation when I specifically asked about large pupils and they said mine were just perfect for Lasik.

Never take anyone's word. Do plenty of research. They said alot of things to me at the lasik evaluation and I will research every single thing they said to verify their claims. I already know not to expect perfect vision, just improved UCVA vision and a reduced dependancy on glasses.

At my appointment yesterday they made up some small lenses using the laser machine to my wavescan from a couple of weeks ago and these lenses didnt make any difference at all so i'm sure further surgery wouldn't be beneficial to me. I think i'm now destined to be like this for the rest of my days due to the sheer incompetence and corporate greed of Optical Express.

Are you seeing 20/20 without glasses? Your options for correcting HOAs would be special RGP contact lenses or wavefront lasik. If you can wait 5-10 years, 2nd gen wavefront lasers will be out that will be able to consistantly reduce HOAs as well as enlarge your ablation zone. You will need enough cornea for this and stay above 300 microns under the flap.

How much astigmatism did you have and could you see well from near without glasses?
PRKorIntacs

Return to Just Had It