Can lasik/PRK improve lines of BCVA?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Can lasik/PRK improve lines of BCVA?

Postby PRKorIntacs » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:03 am

I wanted to share this story that I found when doing a search. Have you or do you know anyone that improved a line or two of BCVA after laser surgery? Im wondering how it's possible. I could understand vs. glasses because glasses minify/distort but better than contacts? For example, someone may see 20/25 with glasses, 20/20 with contacts and 20/15 after laser surgery. Could it be irregular astigmatism, which I have that can't be corrected to 20/20 with glasses nor soft contacts? Im afraid to try RGP because I have no tolerance for soft contacts and RGPs are very expensive with no refunds. Id rather spend it on intacs or PRK and I can accept no improvement in BCVA as long as my UCVA improves and my dependancy on glasses is reduced. An improvement in BCVA, say being able to correct to 20/20 with glasses after surgery would be a nice bonus.
PRKorIntacs

Re: Can lasik/PRK improve lines of BCVA?

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:35 pm

The link errors to a page not found.

Although it is possible for Lasik to improve a patient's best corrected visual acuity (BCVA), it is not very predictable. One should not expect more than vision after Lasik equal to vision before Lasik with glasses (not contact lenses), and even that is not guaranteed.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It