monovision

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

monovision

Postby anny » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:32 pm

I am booked in next week to have Epi-Lasik on my right (dominant) eye only, hopefully giving me monovision. My right eye is 2.25 rt and 1.75 left with approx 0.5 astigmatism(left only). I have in the past worn a contact lens in my right eye only and had quite a good result, tho I wasn't able to wear it for more than about 6hrs at a time as it tended to make my eye a bit irritable. My surgeon seems quite happy to correct my right eye for distance and leave my left eye for near (with the thought that I could have the left eye done later if necessary).

What I would like to know is what results I could reasonably expect, as he was talking about possibly needing glasses for driving :roll: . I know that monovision is a compromise but wonder if there will be too much astigmatism (-1.75) in my left eye......when I have read of people having monovision they seem to have had both eyes corrected, leaving about 0.5-1.00 in their near eye.

The answer probably won't make me change anything at the moment (unless I would need to change something for my right eye?) but I don't want to be disappointed because I was expecting a better result than was possible.

I will echo what other people have said,Glen....your advice is invaluable....thankyou for your time and expertise.
anny

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:43 pm

Assumming your surgery is on target, it is reasonable to expect the same vision result with refractive surgery as you experienced in a contact lens. Your astigmatism in the untreated/uncorrected eye will be just as - or as not - problematic.

You seemed to provide two numbers for astigmatism. You mentioned 0.50 diopters astigmatism with 1.75 D myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision initially, then indicated your astigmatism is 1.75. If your astigmatism is actually 1.75, this would probably have provided inferior vision during your contact lens monovision trial that did not correct your left eye.

What is always important with monovision is trying it with contacts before laser treatment. For more details, visit Lasik Monovision.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: monovision

Postby anny » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:34 pm

[quote="anny"]

but wonder if there will be too much astigmatism (-1.75) in my left eye......quote]

Sorry for misleading you Glen, I meant 'myopia' not 'astigmatism'......I have only a little astigmatism in my left eye and none in my right. For ideal monovision, how much prescription would you leave in one eye so that you have useful close vision without compromising the distance vision too much?

Also, I have read that monovision can affect depth of vision....how does this present? I haven't noticed anything untoward when doing the contacts trial, except that I feel slightly 'cross-eyed' when I've worn it for several hours - presumably that's my brain feeling the strain, and will disappear with more practice?
anny

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:44 pm

The 0.50 astigmatism may present as slightly blurred vision or a light doubled "ghost" image, primarily in low light environments. It would probably be exactly the same after surgery as it was with the contact lens trial.

The amount of myopia in the nondominant eye depends upon the needs of the individual. Myopia of 1.00 may not be enough for someone who reads often, but will provide superior distance vision than would 2.00 of myopia. Since you have had a trial that seemed to work well, what you have is apparently appropriate.

Depth perception problems present as a difficulty determining how far objects are away from you. An example would be if you reach for the door knob and smack the door because you extended your hand too far.

For obvious reasons, depth perception is important when driving - especially at night. A pair of glasses that fully correct both eyes for distance vision would be good to have for those occasions when you need optimum distance vision.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby anny » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:19 am

Thank you for your prompt answers, Glen - do you ever go off duty? :)
anny

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:16 am

No rest for the wicked.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It