eye transplant for glaucoma?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

eye transplant for glaucoma?

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:43 pm

To whom it may concern,
I'm asking this, nopt for myself, but for my sister. My sister was born with glaucoma 40 something years ago and is completely blind in one eye and had very little vision in the other. My sister also has six children, all who were blessed with good vision. Last week she lost what sight she had left due to a whole which had developed in her cornea. She is in surgery as I speak, to try to close the hole and give her back a little vision. My question is, is there not any way in this world that they can fix her eyes,for I would gladly give her one of mine to let her see the world as we do. Is a human eye transplant not yet possible, or is there a way to correct what is wrong behind her eyes?
Please respond with any information. Thank you
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:47 pm

Your generous offer to help your sister's eyesight is perhaps premature. Such eye, optic nerve, and retina transplantation is not yet a reality.

Glaucoma means that the fluids inside the eye are not able to appropriately move from one chamber of the eye to another. This can cause an increase of pressure inside the eye. Long-term high pressure inside the eye will cause damage to the optic nerve that carries the signals to the brain.

There are surgeries and medications to help with glaucoma, but nothing "cures" it. Even with extensive maintenance, glaucoma can take someone's sight. Unfortunately, you know this.

You may not be able to give your sister your eyes, but you most certainly can be her eyes for her. I highly recommend you get her involved with low vision and blind organizations. I have been a volunteer and supporter with the National Federation of the Blind and know first-hand how little blindness can slow some people down.

Schedule a routine when you are at her home with her. Even if you are just watching TV with her (yes she will) or simply around the house, you will become a supportive presence and she will understand that for that time on that day she can rely on you. That is invaluable to someone going through this kind of change.

Also, teach yourself how to define symptoms of depression and how to best assist your sister. Despite all good efforts, she will go through a period of depression that can be worse than the blindness. There is no need to become a psychotherapist, but by recognizing the signs and knowing what resources are available to help, she will not long go without appropriate care from those with proper training.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It