Starbursts: Anyone ever seen big ones reduced or go away?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Re: Starbursts: Anyone ever seen big ones reduced or go away?

Postby ma098568 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:36 am

right now i dont know what to do. they're not getting better or worse really. in the day, everything is ALMOST perfect. then at night everything goes to hell, and its been like that since day 1. i do have trouble seeing how this problem could just one day disappear within the next 2 month but i guess im hoping.

i think if it doesnt go away, which my gut tells me might be the case, im going to use those drops.....are those working for you still?
ma098568

The drops help, but.......

Postby Anyman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:40 am

Yes, the alphagan drops help, but I am very, very afraid to use them constantly notwithstanding assurances from the surgeon that they are safe. He said the surgery was safe, too........

I have a few more kinds of lenses to try, including RGP ones.
Anyman

Postby ma098568 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:33 am

do glasses help at all with the starbursts? i think id be willing to do that for sure. problem is i have 20/20 so i dont know what the hell that would do to my vision.
ma098568

Postby Anyman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:35 am

glasses help minimally, but then again I have yet to try the "Opthonix" or other expensive ones.
Anyman

Postby ma098568 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:28 am

you mentioned your wife said she had starbursts that faded eventually. What did she say about that, did they remain pretty static for a bit and then slowly go away or go away pretty fast? did they occur only at night as well?
ma098568

Postby Anyman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:34 am

Hmm.. I don't recall saying my spouse had starbursts that faded...... Mine are STILL DAMNED here.....
Anyman

Postby ma098568 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:25 am

"My hesitation was tempered by my wife's excellent results 4 years ago with the same Dr. Hers was not "all laser", though. Her pupils were about 7 mm, the same as mine, although her prescription was around 20/20 & mine 20/400. She recalls having starbursts that faded after awhile"

That's from your initial post
ma098568

Postby Anyman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:47 am

Totally forgot about that. She she gets them from time to time, but they are not nearly as bad as mine. For her they come and go, but are not overly intrusive. For me, they are huge.
Anyman

Postby ltess » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:24 am

I have noticed that I have starbursts in bright light also. Such as if a car has headlights on during the day I see starbursts. In this case my eyes are dilated therefore pupil size doesn't seem to make mine better? I'm doomed...
ltess

Postby Anyman » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:58 am

ltess wrote:I have noticed that I have starbursts in bright light also. Such as if a car has headlights on during the day I see starbursts. In this case my eyes are dilated therefore pupil size doesn't seem to make mine better? I'm doomed...

This is worse than I have by far. How long after surgery are you? have you had a full battery of tests, etc? Make sure you evaluate everything & if there are no fixes then you may have to consider legal or other action.
Anyman

Postby ltess » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:53 pm

So it is not normal at the beginning to have starbursts in daylight?
ltess

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:43 pm

ltess wrote:So it is not normal at the beginning to have starbursts in daylight?

Not exactly "normal", but it is a known complication during the initial healing stage. It can also indicate more long-term issues. Either way, the surgeon needs to evaluate and treat.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Anyman » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:03 pm

ltess wrote:So it is not normal at the beginning to have starbursts in daylight?

I am no expert by far, but even I know that one should NOT have starbursts in daylight. That is bad. Very bad.

How long ago was your surgery? Have you got a 2nd opinion?
Anyman

Postby ma098568 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:34 pm

from talking to a lot of different people who have had the starburst issue and claimed that it has "gone away" I'm starting to gather that what they mean is the starbursts dont really bother them anymore, they don't notice it, or they're so used to it that they overlook it. I see no logical reason why someone who has starbursts at night would find that they miraculously vanish after the initial healing period of about a month or so. if you are having starbursts at night or during the day even, and its past a month or so, something is going on in there that isnt just going to cease to exist in 2, 3 6 however many months they claim. maybe you will get used to it and maybe it WONT bother you anymore, but it requires an enormous leap of faith to believe that after the eye has healed (pretty fast) they'll simply dissipate. the crazy thing is that even if you have starbursts and aren't under/over corrected, a lot of these surgeons will immediately "say lets do an enhancement."

All this being said, I would love for someone to honestly say that the starbursts are objectively smaller (or gone) now under the same lighting conditions, than they were 1 or 2 months out.
ma098568

Postby Anyman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:41 pm

ma098568 wrote:from talking to a lot of different people who have had the starburst issue and claimed that it has "gone away" I'm starting to gather that what they mean is the starbursts dont really bother them anymore, they don't notice it, or they're so used to it that they overlook it. I see no logical reason why someone who has starbursts at night would find that they miraculously vanish after the initial healing period of about a month or so. if you are having starbursts at night or during the day even, and its past a month or so, something is going on in there that isnt just going to cease to exist in 2, 3 6 however many months they claim. maybe you will get used to it and maybe it WONT bother you anymore, but it requires an enormous leap of faith to believe that after the eye has healed (pretty fast) they'll simply dissipate. the crazy thing is that even if you have starbursts and aren't under/over corrected, a lot of these surgeons will immediately "say lets do an enhancement."

All this being said, I would love for someone to honestly say that the starbursts are objectively smaller (or gone) now under the same lighting conditions, than they were 1 or 2 months out.

Agree 100%. I have yet to hear anyone, anywhere ever say they truly got "better", nor do I believe people just got used to them. How does one get used to big light streaks? The whole thing is a scam....
Anyman

PreviousNext

Return to Just Had It