5.5 weeks and never clear vision

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

5.5 weeks and never clear vision

Postby djclark2662 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:17 pm

I had monovision Lasik on March 31st and have never had a clear minute out of my distance eye. My reading eye has been doing fine since the surgery. My prescription was 7+ in both eyes and I had nice thick corneas. I always had slight dry eye so I've been using eye drops at least every 10 or 15 minutes and have been taking flax seed oil every day. I can see clearly for about 5-10 feet out of the distance eye but after that forget it. I don't have large pupils. I do see ghosting around indoor lights but not to a debilitating degree.

Should I be concerned at this point? Am I being too impatient or should I have been able to see clearly (or at least clearER) occasionally at this time in my recovery?
djclark2662

Re: 5.5 weeks and never clear vision

Postby LasikExpert » Tue May 04, 2010 6:00 pm

Do you have your current eyeglass prescription?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby djclark2662 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:41 pm

Do you mean before the surgery? It was -7.50 OD and -7.25 OS. I don't know what it is now since I haven't seen them since one week out of surgery. If this isn't what you mean please let me know and I'll try to find out. Thanks!
djclark2662

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 05, 2010 5:13 pm

The fact that you have good vision at a certain distance indicates that you are still myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted). Monovision deliberately makes one eye myopic and the other fully corrected. Your prescription today would indicate if you are myopic in both eyes.

Not everyone tolerates monovision well. Did you try monovision with contact lenses before surgery?

You may want to read our articles on monovision and Lasik dry eye treatment.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby djclark2662 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:40 pm

Yes, I had monovision contacts and did just fine with them. Shouldn't I have had clearer vision in the distance eye (left/dominant) by now? I know it will fluctuate from day to day but I've never had a day, or even an hour, when I could see clearly more than ten feet in front of me out of the distance eye. Could that eye have been undercorrected that much? I understand they undercorrect the reading eye but it's been doing just fine with only slight blurring one day.
djclark2662

Postby PRKorIntacs » Thu May 06, 2010 2:03 am

Give it more time, at least 3 months before results stabalize. You could then either consider an enhancement in the distance eye or just leave well enough alone and wear glasses for driving. How does your distance eye compare to your near eye now? What's your new prescription? I don't like monovision so I am aiming for a -1.5 undercorrection in both eyes and will greatly reduce my dependancy on glasses and only need them occasionally.
PRKorIntacs

Postby djclark2662 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:55 pm

My next appointment is May 20th. I'll find out my perscription then. Should I try to get into see the doctor before then or just be patient? (Not my strong suit.) I changed eye drops (Refresh Optive during the day and Celluvisc at night) and my eyes are less stratchy. Maybe these will help the healing process. I don't want to rely on driving glasses, except to stabilize my vision at night. My reading eye is perfect at about 24". My distance is good between about 3-5 feet, then it gets blurry. Also, will the slight ghosting go away eventually? Thanks for your help.
djclark2662

Postby djclark2662 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:40 pm

I changed my appointment and saw them yesterday. He says the eye is well healed but I have very dry eyes. He gave me a prescription for Restasis. He says my visions is 20/25. Can't figure that out when I have to be right on top of a road sign before I can read it. He said things should start clearing up in about two weeks when the Restasis starts working. Does this all sound about right? Thanks for your help.
djclark2662

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 12, 2010 4:47 pm

It is not likely that Restasis will start helping quite that soon. The manufacturer states that it takes 90 days of treatment before the full effect is realized. You may get some relief before 90 days, but not full relief.

Restasis is an anti-inflammatory. The tiny channels that carry the liquids that comprise your tears can be squeezed shut by inflammation of the tissue around them...like squeezing a garden hose. Reducing the inflammation can start the flow again.

Be sure to read our article on dry eye after Lasik treatment
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby djclark2662 » Thu May 13, 2010 7:34 pm

90 days, huh? Oh well, I guess I need to learn patience sooner or later in my life. I had read that article when I started having the dry eyes. I've been using Refresh Celluvisc and Optive whenever I feel any dryness or stinging. I was using the Celluvisc only in the morning and at night but I've started using it during the day for longer relief. I'll let you know when the vision comes and dryness goes. Thanks again!
djclark2662

Postby PRKorIntacs » Thu May 13, 2010 10:30 pm

djclark2662 wrote:He says my visions is 20/25. Can't figure that out when I have to be right on top of a road sign before I can read it. He said things should start clearing up in about two weeks when the Restasis starts working. Does this all sound about right? Thanks for your help.

In what situations are you experiencing blurred vision or poor quality vision? Can you see clearly during the day? How's it at night? I am surprised again and again how well some people see on the eyechart and how poorly they see in the real world. In your opinion, what would you say that "20/25" translates in the real world? 20/40? 20/60? 20/100? I do hope your quality of vision improves or at least can be corrected with driving glasses.
PRKorIntacs

Postby djclark2662 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:48 pm

I can't see clearly ever. It's blurry any time of the day or night. Right now I am looking across a large parking lot (a little longer than a football field) and I can make out the steel structure of a new building going up but I can't see the worker on top welding. I can only see the flash of the welder being used. About 120 yards away I can see a traffic light changing from red to green but it's not clear. I'm hoping the Restasis works it's magic and my sight clears up in the next few months. Thanks and I'll keep you posted.
djclark2662

Postby LasikExpert » Fri May 14, 2010 4:58 pm

djclark2662 wrote:I can't see clearly ever. It's blurry any time of the day or night.

That is very important. If your problem was just residual refractive error (your are nearsighted or farsighted), then you would have clear vision at some distance, likely near. Poor vision at all distances can be a symptom of severely dry eyes. When you use your eye drops, does vision become clear?
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby djclark2662 » Mon May 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Crystal clear for about two blinks. Then it goes back to blurry. Another question: Is the ghosting around indoor lights part of the dry eyes, too?
djclark2662

Postby LasikExpert » Mon May 17, 2010 3:59 pm

Clear for a couple of blinks and ghosting around indoor lights both can be symptoms of a rough corneal surface, which is can be a consequence of dry eyes. It appears that resolving the dry eyes is going to resolve the vision problems you currently experience.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Next

Return to Just Had It