3 months Post Op

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

3 months Post Op

Postby peakaboo » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:35 am

Had customvue intralase on July 28th and am pretty happy with the results. Prior to surgery, I wore contacts with -6.5 diopter correction but they did not correct for astigmatism and I always had some night vision problems with starbursts. My dilated pupils are large (off the charts apparently..the technician had to put a pen light into the machine I was looking into to get a measurement that it would recognize), so I expected starburst and halo problems after surgery.

Over the past 3 months, the two biggest side effects have been dry eye and starbursts. I notice the dry eye less and less as the weeks go by, so I'm pretty confident that over the next year or so, it will diminish to comfortable levels and drops will not be needed as much, if at all. My vision was checked at 6 weeks post surgery and I could read the 20/30 line easily, the 20/25 line pretty well and even got 1 or 2 letters on the 20/20 line. I'd say I'm about 20/25 and it probably won't get any better.

I just walked outside tonight and looked up at the moon and glare around the edges is still pretty substantial (it goes out radially about two to three times the size of the diameter of the moon). When I walked under my outside floodlight which was pointed towards me, the halos/glare of the moon got a little smaller, but not by much. I can drive at night no problem because the night glare is not much worse than when I wore contacts, but it sure would be nice if it improved. I feeling is that it won't get much better and I'll just have to live with it.

My question to everyone who has had lasik and experienced fairly significant starbursts and halos at night is, at what point did the starbursts/halos diminish to levels where they didn't bother you anymore? If you still have halos and starbursts, how long has it been since your surgery and is your corrected vision better or worse than mine? I've read a lot of stories on the internet where many people realized improved night vision after a short time (like a month) and some people had improvements continuing after 5 or 6 months or longer. At what point will it be pretty safe to say that the night vision problems are most likely here to stay? Thanks!
peakaboo

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:52 pm

For reporting purposes we officially consider refractive surgery to be a six month process and at that time it is appropriate to consider your vision's result. That said, many people experience vision changes after six months.

In my own situation, vision after PRK has been with virtually the same level of halo as before surgery using glasses or contact lenses.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Button1 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:09 am

I am now about three months out from Custom Intralase and still have significant starbursting and halos. I am resolving myself to the fact that this is probably going to be permanent and am slowly getting used to it. One thing that I have just started experiencing is double vision at a distance which quickly comes back into focus. I have an appointment next week so I'm curious to hear what the surgeon has to say about it.

Not sorry I had the LASIK by the way.....
Button1

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:29 am

If the doubled vision resolves with a change in the distance to the object, this may be due to irregularity at the cornea such as astigmatism.

If it resolves without change in distance and after a few seconds, you may have an accommodation and convergence problem.

I recommend that you make a list of your symptoms, concerns, and questions before you visit your doctor and share it as soon as you arrive. This may help the doctor determine which tests are going to be most appropriate.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Halos

Postby Kellie06 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:02 am

I was told when I had my Lasik that I would more then likely have the night glare and halos as I have large pupils. When I first had the Lasik done the night glare was bad and Halos were bad also. I am now 2 months into my recovery and I have noticed a difference in the night glare and halos. My hope is that it will continue to improve as it has olny been 2 months. But if it does not improve that will ok as it is not any worse then when I was wearing my glasses. If the night glare and halos stay I will still say that Lasik is the bes thing that I have ever done. Good Luck to everyone in their recovery.
Kellie06

Return to Just Had It