Overcorrected-please help!!95 days post-Lasek

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Overcorrected-please help!!95 days post-Lasek

Postby omid » Thu May 20, 2010 9:14 pm

Hello All,
I had a Lasek surgery on my both eyes in 15.03.10.(95 days ago).In 3 month I will be 42.
I had on my Right eye -8 and Left eye -8.Operation and healing was without any complication.Today in my last Check up, my Doctor confirm that I am overcorrected.Today I have in my Right eye +2 and Left eye +2.He does not have any explenation why it happened, since he did the operation exactly according to data of my glasses and pre-operation examination.
He is suggesting to do reoperation.Is another surgery really helps?Is there any explenation for my overcorrection?
Any advise will be really appreciated.
omid

Re: Overcorrected-please help!!95 days post-Lasek

Postby LasikExpert » Sat May 22, 2010 7:18 pm

I recommend that you seek a second opinion before you make your decision about enhancement surgery and if you should use this surgeon. It is possible that the surgeon did do everything correctly, but your corneas responded in a manner not expected.

Hydration is an important issue with laser vision correction surgery. The standard treatment is based upon a normally hydrated cornea. If the cornea is dehydrated, more than normal tissue is removed with each laser pulse; if overhydrated, less tissue is removed. It is possible that you had unusually dry corneas at the time of your surgery. Additionally, removal of 8.00 diopters of error would require a relatively long time. Your corneas may have dehydrated during the surgery, although normally that is adjusted in the treatment plan.

A second opinion would be very helpful in determining if you should continue with this doctor. An advantage that you have now is that surgeon knows how your corneas react and can adjust the treatment accordingly. You may want to read about hyperopia Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby omid » Sat May 22, 2010 8:51 pm

Thank you very very much for your kindly recommendation and explenation.
I am planning to visit another surgeon to get a second opinion.But i discussed about my situation with many Doctors, and most of them beleive that by 6 month or one year post-lasek this overcorrection will be corrected spontaneously.
Since I am an Oral Surgeon and because of my job I need really a good vision , i would like to ask you enhancement surgery is usually recommended how long after first surgery?
Two month ago I was using glasses with +2.5 and now I am using glasses with +1.5 at work. Is there any chance that without enhancement this overcorrection would be corrected by time?
Thank you in advance for your kindly reply.
omid

Postby LasikExpert » Sat May 22, 2010 10:47 pm

omid wrote:I am planning to visit another surgeon to get a second opinion.But i discussed about my situation with many Doctors, and most of them beleive that by 6 month or one year post-lasek this overcorrection will be corrected spontaneously.

I tend to disagree only because of the amount of overcorrection. It is true that overcorrection from myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision into hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision tends to regress back toward the originally desired correction, but you are more than three months postop and are reporting hyperopia of about 1.50 diopters from an original overcorrection of about 2.50 diopters. It is not likely that all of this additional hyperopia will spontaneously regress to plano (no refractive error), however some may.

omid wrote:...is usually recommended how long after first surgery?

In most cases what is necessary is for the refractive error to become stable. This may occur in 3 months or not for a year. It is possible to have some correction while the eye is still changing, but it would be wise to undercorrect to allow for future regression if the enhancement surgery is performed sooner, rather than later.

omid wrote:Two month ago I was using glasses with +2.5 and now I am using glasses with +1.5 at work. Is there any chance that without enhancement this overcorrection would be corrected by time?

This kind of change is very, very encouraging. The fact that you have apparently spontaneously regressed 1.00 diopter in two months indicates your eye is correcting the problem as much as it is able. It also indicates that you have not stabilized so any correction now would need to allow for future regression.

It is possible that you will regress the additional 1.50 diopters, but as you have apparently already regressed 1.00 diopter, getting all the way to plano does not seem terribly likely. Either corrective lenses or enhancement surgery seems likely to be necessary.

As long as your have functional vision with corrective lenses, waiting until your vision is stable is probably the best response, but you need to discuss this in detail with your surgeon.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago