So Happy!

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

So Happy!

Postby Luxie » Fri May 21, 2010 4:16 pm

I had Lasik on April 1st, so its been about 1 month and 3 weeks out now, and I can't express enough how happy I am that I had it.

I was soooo nervous beforehand, scouring this blog like a hawk looking for any reason in the world as to why I shouldn't get it. I had even set a time to do it back in 2008, but I chickened out and cancelled at the last minute. I was -4.25 in both eyes with 8mm pupils. I had read horror stories that huge pupils are almost certain to lead to halos, starbursts and double vision, but if you read the article on this site about that, its not about pupil size, but how its treated.

I went to an Opthamologist who had conducted the surgery, I was nervous about 'Lasik factories' who would tell you anything to get you laying on the Lasik table. Even if you were not a perfect candidate. You just need to be sure that you check your doctors credentials and make sure that you are 100% comfortable and trust them. This IS your vision we are talking about.

Surgery Day:

The whole surgery itself was very weird and I was definitely scared. They give you a Valium to keep you from freaking out, but I think my heart was still beating x1,000 regardless. They tape your lids back and put a contraption in to keep you from blinking. They start with a slew of drops, and (since I went with the all laser Lasik) they started to cut the flap using the laser. You can't really feel pain, but you can definitely feel things going on. Your eyes are numbed with drops heavily. Then when the correction started, it went really fast, it was a matter of like 10 seconds I think. I know I read before that you can smell your eye burning, and you definitely can. This totally grossed me out and I had to hold my breath haha. It smells like burning hair almost. Ick. The process was repeated on the other eye and I was done! I could read the clock across the room with when I stood up from the table. So surreal and unimaginable. Then they fashion you up with your hot goggles and away you go. Just like that.

Recovery Time:

I did experience dryness in the first month, it was really bad. I knew I would, because even in contacts my eyes were very very dry. I decided to go on Restasis, which I was also nervous about, but I have been much more comfortable on it. It is worth it to me, and I know that in a few weeks I will be ok to go on my own without it anymore.

I also did have very bad halos and starbursts in the first month, but my doctor assured me this was because my eyes were paper dry. It was so bad that driving at night was really horrible. Ever since I have been on Restasis though and keeping my eyes lubricated, the halos and starbursts are pretty much gone.

I am very comfortable today with it and every day that I wake up and can see perfectly is another amazing day. It is so crazy to think that I don't need glasses or contacts anymore, I even find myself reaching for them on my face only to find that nothing is there. You have to remind yourself that your eyes are perfect as they are! The ease it has created too is awesome, no more contact solution or fussing or buying things and getting new glasses, etc. It is so awesome that we live in a day and age that you can fix your vision.

To anyone thinking about it: Find a doctor you trust, do your research, know about your eyes and what to expect and prepare for the most awesome transition of your life!!
Luxie

Re: So Happy!

Postby Luxie » Fri May 21, 2010 4:19 pm

I forgot to mention...that I am 20/15 in both eyes too. Better than perfect vision!
Luxie

Postby LasikExpert » Sat May 22, 2010 7:22 pm

Thanks for the report. As you may have seen, most of the people who post here are concerned about problems. Even though Lasik results are statistically good, this bulletin board can present a skewed reality. Read Only Lasik Complications?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby PRKorIntacs » Sun May 23, 2010 8:27 am

Luxie wrote:I was soooo nervous beforehand, scouring this blog like a hawk looking for any reason in the world as to why I shouldn't get it. I had even set a time to do it back in 2008, but I chickened out and cancelled at the last minute. I was -4.25 in both eyes with 8mm pupils. I had read horror stories that huge pupils are almost certain to lead to halos, starbursts and double vision, but if you read the article on this site about that, its not about pupil size, but how its treated.

I got a lasik consultation back in 2005 but everyone was warning me my vision would be ruined due to my huge 8mm pupils so I decided to hold off on lasik and wait and see if better lasers can address larger pupils. Even today, people are recommending against lasik/prk for me. I read that the Allegretto laser is the best for large pupils because of how they treat you.

I went to an Opthamologist who had conducted the surgery, I was nervous about 'Lasik factories' who would tell you anything to get you laying on the Lasik table. Even if you were not a perfect candidate. You just need to be sure that you check your doctors credentials and make sure that you are 100% comfortable and trust them. This IS your vision we are talking about.

Don't most surgeons want to sell lasik to you even if you aren't such a good candidate? I read stories of people who would not have made good candidates going under the laser.

I did experience dryness in the first month, it was really bad. I knew I would, because even in contacts my eyes were very very dry.

Wouldn't PRK have been better? One of my reasons for choosing PRK is that it causes less dry eyes. But I too am worried about permanent dry eyes. I can't tolerate contact lens, how long could you? My eyes also sometimes feel dry when I am tired or in front of the computer all day. If you got a schrimer's test, what did you score?

I also did have very bad halos and starbursts in the first month, but my doctor assured me this was because my eyes were paper dry. It was so bad that driving at night was really horrible. Ever since I have been on Restasis though and keeping my eyes lubricated, the halos and starbursts are pretty much gone.

Everyone says ill have permanent GASH due to my huge pupils and ill never be able to drive at night without risking my life. What kind of laser was used for you and how large an optical zone?

The ease it has created too is awesome, no more contact solution or fussing or buying things and getting new glasses, etc. It is so awesome that we live in a day and age that you can fix your vision.

If I could tolerate contact lenses, id stick with them. My sister and mother wear contacts and they don't have to deal with the hassles of glasses. The hassles of contact lenses are way less than glasses. Id love to improve my vision and reduce my dependancy on glasses(I am presbyopic so I won't be free of glasses)

To anyone thinking about it: Find a doctor you trust, do your research, know about your eyes and what to expect and prepare for the most awesome transition of your life!!

I have been researching refractive surgery for over a decade. Still researching and reading stories, both good and bad. My expectations are realistic, I am not expecting perfect vision(impossible anyway if you are presbyopic) lasik could be awesome, but could also be a huge mistake/disaster if you develop complications.

Were you able to see 20/15 with contact lens? Glasses before lasik? Why did you choose lasik over PRK? I am choosing PRK over lasik because PRK is less risky and gives better results. Yes the healing time is longer and ill wish I had lasik for 2 weeks, afterwards ill be glad I had PRK. No flap to worry about.
PRKorIntacs

Postby PRKorIntacs » Fri May 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Hope you have the time to read my questions. Thanks for sharing your story, I was wondering some things.
PRKorIntacs

Postby samtoh4 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:57 am

congrats man for your lasik success!!!!
samtoh4

Postby vicebilly » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:49 pm

Luxie, what type of laser did the Dr use for your procedure? Is Restasis something that the Dr must prescribe for you? Also, how is your night vision now in regards to starbursts and halos?

Thanks!
vicebilly

Return to Just Had It