Hello and a couple of questions

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Hello and a couple of questions

Postby Rich » Thu May 27, 2010 11:22 am

Hello, thanks for having me :)

I'm Rich, aged 42

I had Lasik last Friday (just 6 days ago). I know it's still early days but I feel I have been undercorrected. Pre-op I was nearsighted with astigmatism, better than 20/20 corrected. Now I would estimate I am 20/30 at best although the bigger problem is that things get real blurry in low or low(ish) light... such as a bar where even a pool ball 6 feet away from my face is blurred. Not so outside in sunlight where everything is clearer.
After the op I think my vision got to where it is within 2 days and I don't think it has improved since.

So my first question is whether you think this is normal for 6 days in or are things likely to improve.

My next question is probably a little less of the usual type of thing:

Pre-op I wore contact lenses. When they called to confirm my consultation appointment I asked them if I needed to do or bring anything and can I wear contacts and they told me no contacts. (At this point I had no idea of the procedure) So I wore glasses that day. They did all the examinations and "mapped" my eyes. I booked an appointment for the procedure and they told me to stop wearing contacts at least 10 days before. At the time I didn't realize the significance of this. I now know it is because contacts can change the shape of the cornea. But here's what happened:
I overheard a conversation between the young tech guy and the doctor. The tech guy wanted to re-map my eyes that day before the op. The doctor was ready to do the op and asked the tech guy "is the map good?" or some such question. The tech guy said "yes" and the doctor said "then it'll be okay"
I didn't kknow it at the time but having now read up a bit more I believe this was an error and that they should have re-mapped my eyes in their relaxed state.

So my question is to what degree and nature could this affect my result?

I have my 1 week follow up appointment tomorrow. I will let you know what THEY say about it all.

Thanks
Rich

Re: Hello and a couple of questions

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Rich wrote:I'm Rich, aged 42

You want to read about Lasik and presbyopia.

Rich wrote:So my first question is whether you think this is normal for 6 days in or are things likely to improve.

It is very early after your surgery. You are probably still on or have just stopped using anti-inflammatory medication. Your eyes have just had micro-surgery. Not everyone gets the "20-Minute Miracle". You really should not make a final judgment on your outcome until 3-6 months postop. You may want to look at a study on Lasik results.

Rich wrote:So my question is to what degree and nature could this affect my result?

This depends greatly on the technology used to guide the laser. If your surgery was wavefront-guided, then the wavefront analysis after being out of contacts may have been important. If the surgery was wavefront-optimized, then the mapping was less important, but should not be disregarded. If the Lasik was with conventional guidance, the map would have been for preoperative evaluation only and not to guide the laser.

What is going to be of greatest importance is your final outcome. If surgeons could reliably give us 20/20 vision with a butter knife and a 24-volt battery, we would probably be okay with it. If your vision is inadequate after time for healing, then would be the time to second-guess and look for a cause. At this juncture, this is just good information to have that you may (and likely will not) need later.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Thu May 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Thanks for the reply

I suppose I am second-guessing but it's difficult to not be a worrier.

Even if everything stays the same I wouldn't regret getting it done. Just to be able to basically function (drive, swim, walk around without bumping into things) after 30 something years of relying on lenses is a miracle to me. :)

FYI It was done by Dr [JDR].

Note: Doctor name and website redacted.
Rich

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Keep us informed. It is always great to hear the final outcome.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Fri May 28, 2010 5:02 pm

So I just got back from my 1 week post-op exam

Pre-op:
-4.00 -2.75 180
-4.00 -2.75 180

Now:
-0.75 -0.5 165
-1.25 sph

They said things might improve slightly but expect I will need an "enhancement"

They gave me some glasses to tide me over
Rich

Postby PRKorIntacs » Fri May 28, 2010 7:16 pm

Rich wrote:So I just got back from my 1 week post-op exam

Pre-op:
-4.00 -2.75 180
-4.00 -2.75 180

Now:
-0.75 -0.5 165
-1.25 sph

They said things might improve slightly but expect I will need an "enhancement"

They gave me some glasses to tide me over

I am aiming for a similar undercorrection to what you have. Because we are both presbyopic, we can never be free of glasses. You might want glasses for driving(at least at night) and maybe for watching movies as well. However it's great to be able to go without glasses most of the time and not need reading glasses for everything, which is what my presbyopic friends need. I see them with reading glasses all day and they take them off, on, off, on hundreds of times a day. If you do decide on an "enhancement" please first find out if you can tolerate monovision. Also keep in mind that "enhancement" carries risks, including overcorrection. Monovision isn't for me so I am asking for an undercorrection in both eyes. My brother and friends are slightly myopic naturally and only wear glasses to drive. They see quite well at distance, almost as well without glasses as I do with glasses! I don't correct to 20/20 with glasses as my eyes are quite bad at 20/800 without glasses.

No point trading up for reading glasses(if I were plano) that id need to wear all day for the computer, reading, eating, seeing faces clearly, seeing anything less than a meter(or two!) clearly. Might as well stay as a -5.5 then and wear -3.75 computer glasses which I currently wear 75% of the time. My surgeon knows this and understands why I have asked for a small undercorrection. He suggests to everyone who's presbyopic to try monovision. If monovision isn't for you, he will warn you that if you end up plano(instead of slightly myopic), you will be back in glasses, the reading kind. What's the point then to trade distance glasses for reading glasses? I want to reduce my dependancy on distance glasses without ending up in reading glasses.

How well do you see with your glasses, how does it compare to glasses, contacts before lasik? May I ask what was your reasons for lasik? I am looking to get PRK(have a thread on this)
If your night vision is still poor, you may still be healing. Once you heal, you may only want glasses to drive, especially at night. You won't need reading glasses for everything like my presbyopic friends do. I also have presbyopic friends who have your -1 prescription and they are very happy not to need reading glasses and all their friends are jealous. They see quite well(tiny amount of myopia) so they only want to wear glasses to drive and sometimes to watch movies.
PRKorIntacs

Postby LasikExpert » Fri May 28, 2010 9:46 pm

Rich wrote:They said things might improve slightly but expect I will need an "enhancement"

What you have now is modified monovision. This may be a better outcome than you think. You should have an improved ability to see objects near and mid-distance. Unfortunately, this will be at the cost of excellent distance vision.

After your eyes have settled down, but before you make a final decision about enhancement surgery, I suggest you consider wearing a contact lens in the -1.25 eye for a week and get the real-world experience of full correction at age 42. You may prefer the monovision...or may hate it.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:57 am

PRKorIntacs wrote:How well do you see with your glasses, how does it compare to glasses, contacts before lasik?

I would say the same apart from because I am now a lot less myopic I don't need the glasses for computer etc.

May I ask what was your reasons for lasik? I am looking to get PRK(have a thread on this)

Simply that I personally know 8 people who have had it done with no problems or regrets. I guess you don't read about the successes too much on internet forums

Thanks for the replies
Rich

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:42 pm

Rich wrote:I guess you don't read about the successes too much on internet forums

Absolutely true. And what would be said would be short; "I did it. My vision is great. Wish I had done it sooner." That is not going to fill up a bulletin board. For true Lasik results see our CORE Patient Survey.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:01 pm

Yesterday I had my 6 week follow-up.
Prescription remains pretty much the same.

Apart from the under-correction I've experienced no serious issues. I would say the only thing I've really noticed is that reflected sunlight looks a lot brighter and glaring than pre-op. Not to the point of debilitation though.

My doctor wants me to consider getting just the one (worst) eye enhanced when the time comes.
Rich

Return to Just Had It