Typical Astigmatism Results

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Typical Astigmatism Results

Postby buddyelf » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:24 am

Since my vision has stabilized after Lasik, I've been bothered by quite a bit of blurriness due to astigmatism. I have about 0.5 diopters in each eye.

What really concerns me is that my astigmatism is Identical to how it was before treatment. Both the axis and magnitude are the same in both eyes as before treatment.
Could it be that my astigmatism adjustment was written off?

Is this something that could be improved with another treatment?
buddyelf

Re: Typical Astigmatism Results

Postby ToolBoy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:44 pm

Need full numbers... if you are -0.5 astigmatic, you could be +0.25 hyperoptic, which in my estimation, makes plano vision. -0.5 astig is not much. Most people overthink their eye adjustment after surgery.

Now, I can see if you are still -0.25 diopter or 'above' with the astig, that things are not as clear as you believe things should be. This surgery is to loosen your dependency from glasses; not to make things completely perfect.
ToolBoy

Postby dan1966 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:18 pm

My astigmatism stayed about the same after the Lasik surgery, too. According to the PPR, it actually got worse in my left eye. My subjective refraction for the astigmatism in my right eye went from -0.75 to
-0.50. For the left eye it went from -2.77 to either -2.48 or -2.95 (I had two post-op readings done). As you can see, my astigmatism wasn't corrected much, if at all, leading me to question whether anything was done at all for my astigmatism. The sphere (my near-sightedness) was corrected fairly accurately. The cylinder (astigmatism) was hardly changed. And this had nothing to do with regression because my vision hasn't changed much since the surgery. The problems existed immediately following the surgery and haven't changed.
dan1966

Postby jcarrey4 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:26 pm

dan1966 wrote:My astigmatism stayed about the same after the Lasik surgery, too. According to the PPR, it actually got worse in my left eye. My subjective refraction for the astigmatism in my right eye went from -0.75 to
-0.50. For the left eye it went from -2.77 to either -2.48 or -2.95 (I had two post-op readings done). As you can see, my astigmatism wasn't corrected much, if at all, leading me to question whether anything was done at all for my astigmatism. The sphere (my near-sightedness) was corrected fairly accurately. The cylinder (astigmatism) was hardly changed. And this had nothing to do with regression because my vision hasn't changed much since the surgery. The problems existed immediately following the surgery and haven't changed.

Which laser did the doctor use on your eyes?
jcarrey4

Postby dan1966 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:08 pm

The Bausch and Lomb Technolas 217z.
dan1966

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:03 pm

The laser has the ability to correct the amount of astigmatism that you describe. Since it has been several months since your Lasik, you should discuss with your surgeon if enhancement surgery to resolve the residual astigmatism is appropriate.

I assume that your vision clarity improves in brightly lit environments.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby batista » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:23 am

Hello,

nice information to see which is good for me and others also