Contemplating Surgery

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Contemplating Surgery

Postby mtm5060 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:12 pm

I am 22 years old and have had glasses since the age of 9. I've tried several times with putting in contacts, but can't seem to get them in all the time(weird, I know). I've been looking into LASIK, and have been told I am a good candidate for it. I was wondering if at my age is the right time to do it? Should I wait a couple years? I was also wondering, for those who have had LASIK, how painful is it during the actual surgery?
mtm5060

Re: Contemplating Surgery

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:16 am

Age is less important than vision stability. You need to have a stable prescription for at least two years. An advantage of having Lasik now is that you will reap it's benefits for a long time. After around age 40 you will start to need reading glasses, but if all goes well with your Lasik you may be glasses free until that time.

What you need most is a comprehensive exam from a competent Lasik surgeon. Take a look at our list of Lasik Surgeons or use our 50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It