lasik with dry eye?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

lasik with dry eye?

Postby michaelscai » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:39 am

I had a exam at the lasik doctors office two days ago, and schirmer test give me a score of 6

should I wait before doing the lasik this week? The doctor is saying it won't make much difference if I wait or not, is that true?

Also, they only ask me to take schirmer test for 1 minute with my eyes closed, is that too short?

the examination before the lasik surgery only took less than an hour and I spent most time with the technician, the doctor came in the last 10 minute, is that normal?

thank you all!
michaelscai

Re: lasik with dry eye?

Postby PRKorIntacs » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:10 am

It's never a good idea to get lasik or even PRK if you have dry eyes. I had requested a second appointment for a schirmer test. They won't give me one and now they refuse to do PRK on me because I know too much. Oh well, their loss, not mine as there's plenty of other laser centers. I first must know if my eyes are dry and be tested for this before I touch PRK.
PRKorIntacs

Postby michaelscai » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:17 pm

PRKorIntacs wrote:It's never a good idea to get lasik or even PRK if you have dry eyes. I had requested a second appointment for a schirmer test. They won't give me one and now they refuse to do PRK on me because I know too much. Oh well, their loss, not mine as there's plenty of other laser centers. I first must know if my eyes are dry and be tested for this before I touch PRK.

sometimes i feel money rather than the patient's interest come first with some of these lasik places.
michaelscai

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:43 pm

There is little doubt that Lasik doctors want your business, but the bad press and potential litigation would likely keep them from deliberately doing surgery on a patient who they know would have a poor result.

Dry eyes can, and should, be treated before making a decision about any type of laser vision correction. See our article on Lasik and dry eyes.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It