Sudden deceleration and satisfaction surveys

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Sudden deceleration and satisfaction surveys

Postby Bill P » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:19 am

I am 58 and considering Lasik. My last prescription is as follows with both eyes pretty much the same and stable

Distance
OD 2.50 Cylinder sph Axis 0?
OS 2.50 Cylinder -0.50 Axis +085
Add
OD 2.5
OS 2.5
Pupil 5mm
Thickness 530

My soul reason for Lasik is to get better distance vision with good depth perception. I could care less if I have to wear readers for computer work and reading even though it may be a good 6 to 8 hours a day of my life. The reason for the distance requirements is because I race automobiles on a road course. It would be great to ditch the glasses under the helmet. In general, I try and avoid fast decelerations because of contact with stationary objects but, on occasions it dose happen. Can this be a problem after surgery?

One other thing that has me puzzled is that in a consultation, I was advised that the best choice for me was Flying Spot with Ladarvision, not CustomCornia even though I had the option of at least 8 different machines and procedures at their facility. At present I do suffer from a small amount of halo at night. The reason given was that because my pupil was small (5mm), it would be difficult (not impossible) to do CustomCornia. That statement doesn’t sound correct to me. According to the Doc. my eyes were in great shape and reacted well. If you don’t want to comment on my specific situation, I understand, but what would be a generic reason that they wouldn’t want to do a CustomCornia if the patient was willing to pay for it?

Question number 3 is, would it be safe to say that the less correction required by surgery the more likely the patient will be satisfied with the results, assuming no complications with the healing process.

When listing satisfaction with the surgery often times the survey is over a very broad range of correction. Is there any where that I can go to find out the satisfaction rating of those that have a prescription in a similar range to me, or isn’t it important?
Bill P

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:12 am

Due to your small amount of refractive error and the relatively elevated probability of rapid deceleration (crash), it is my opinion that you should investigate the surface ablation techniques of PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik over Lasik/IntraLasik. Due to your age it is very likely Refractive Lens Exchange would be most appropriate.

I'm making an educated guess that the preference for the LADARVision over the Visx may have been because of the requirement of pupil dilation for LADARVision. With small pupils the Visx wavefront aberrometer may not be able to gain enough data points within the size of the pupil, whereas LADARVision requires the pupil to be enlarged so more data points can be processed. This is one where you would do best to ask the doctor.

As a general rule the less correction required the better the predictability of the outcome for a cornea based procedure like LASIK, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik. This issue is pretty much neutral on RLE.

I absolutely agree that surveys of others can provide inaccurate or incomplete conclusions to a specific patient's concerns.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It