LASEK 3 mobths ago

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

LASEK 3 mobths ago

Postby carmen123 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:42 pm

Hello!

I had LASEK performed in July. (I have also posted in the "Just had it" section)

Background: Both eyes were around -9.

After about a month of heal time, I was seeing pretty darn well! I could see 20/20 from the left and 20/25 from the right. Now, at the three month mark, my left eye has already started to get blurry again. :(

I've already made an appt with my doc. I'm guessing that maybe this is the regression you talked about?

Just some general questions: How long do you normally wait to get an "enhancement"? Any reason why my left eye is blurry, but my right is still clear? Is there a good chance that both eyes will regress?

I'm disappointed because I'm a little scared to have the procedure done again. Waiting a month the first time while healing was torture because I kept wondering if it would ever get better. Is there more risk when you have the procedure done a second time?

My night vision is still bad in both eyes. Huge starbursts. I was hoping this would go away. Is there anything that can be done about these?

Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks so much for reading!

-Carmen
carmen123

Re: LASEK 3 mobths ago

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:55 pm

carmen123 wrote:How long do you normally wait to get an "enhancement"?

Commonly 3-6 months after surgery or when the eyes have settled down. Waiting longer is fine too.

carmen123 wrote:Any reason why my left eye is blurry, but my right is still clear?

This is common. Each eye is different and may heal differently. One eye my have more dryness than the other, one more edema than the other, one more regression than the other, etc.

carmen123 wrote:Is there a good chance that both eyes will regress?

Considering your high preoperative refractive error, regression would be all but guaranteed.

carmen123 wrote:Is there more risk when you have the procedure done a second time?

The risk is pretty much equal, except the doctor now has a better understanding of how your eye responds.

carmen123 wrote:Is there anything that can be done about [night vision problems]?

This depends upon what is causing the night vision problems. It may be simple refractive error that could be corrected with glasses or contacts. It may be that the periphery of your cornea is differently corrected compared to the center and when your pupils get large this causes problems. When you get near the time for considering enhancement surgery, discuss in detail your symptoms and what your doctor recommends for resolution. You may want to read LASEK Pupil Size.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby carmen123 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:21 pm

Thank you so much fo ryour response. This site is the best!

Would you recommend waiting longer for enhacement surgery in order to let the eyes settle? I hate having one eye see nice and clear, but the other be blurry. It drives me crazy!

I'm wondering if while I'm waiting, I could either wear one contact, or even get glasses, although I'm not sure if that would just be a waste of money.

I'm also nervous that if my right eye regresses quickly, that all of a sudden I won't be able to see well enough to drive. And then I will be stuck! Would you recommend getting glasses or contacts until I am ready for possible enhacements?

I'm sure I will know more one I see my doctor today.

Any other good questions you think I should be sure to ask?

Again, thank you so much for your help and knowledge. It is so nice to have a place to go for answers/information. I really appreciate it.

-Carmen
carmen123

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:56 pm

Thank you for your kind words about our website. Be sure to see Helping Patients.

carmen123 wrote:Would you recommend waiting longer for enhacement surgery in order to let the eyes settle? I hate having one eye see nice and clear, but the other be blurry. It drives me crazy!

You must wait until the healing is complete and the eye has settled down. Longer is always better.

carmen123 wrote:I'm wondering if while I'm waiting, I could either wear one contact, or even get glasses, although I'm not sure if that would just be a waste of money.

Keeping you sane while you heal is not a waste of money. A pair of inexpensive glasses that provide full correction seem like an excellent idea. You can use them only when needed. If your vision is poor in all conditions, a contact lens may be appropriate, but you will need to be out of that contact for a few weeks before having enhancement surgery. Glasses will not interfere with the healing of your eyes and may be a better choice.

carmen123 wrote:I'm also nervous that if my right eye regresses quickly, that all of a sudden I won't be able to see well enough to drive. And then I will be stuck! Would you recommend getting glasses or contacts until I am ready for possible enhacements?

Quickly is a relative term, but it is not likely that regression will change faster than you can get to your doctor and get a new prescription. I do recommend discussing with your doctor getting glasses or contacts to help you through this time.

carmen123 wrote:Any other good questions you think I should be sure to ask?

Make a list of all your questions, concerns, and symptoms. A list will make the best use of your time with your doctor and you will be sure no issue is missed.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby carmen123 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:24 pm

Ok..so I may have over-reated I guess.. (Big suprise there!)

I saw my doctor yesterday and after cheaking my eyes, I guess my left eye is seeing 20/25 (although honestly I have trouble believing that because people's faces are kinda blurry at only about 20 ft away) He said it was measuring about a -.75.

As for my right eye, well that one is doing great! I'm actually seeing 20/15, although I don't expect that to last very long. Like you said, I'm just kinda waiting for my eyes to both regress.

My doc says he won't see me again until 4 months.

Oh, and I again mentioned the night-time inside problems with starbursts. He gave me a trial of alphagan. I'm not sure yet if it will work, I just started it today..but what do you think about these drops? Are the relatively safe for long-term use? Do they actually "fix" the problem, or is it a temporary thing..

Thanks again for answering all my questions, even though I'm acting like a hypocondriac!! :)
carmen123

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:15 pm

Alphagan P is a prescription eyedrop medication for the treatment of glaucoma. A side effect of Alphagan P is that it reduces the size of the naturally dilated pupil, but without causing static constriction. Many individuals who have experienced night vision problems have reported excellent results with a single drop of Alphagan P in the evening or before being in a low light environment. The effects of Alphagan P for the use of pupil size reduction seem to be benign.

Alphagan P treats the symptoms of the cause of night vision problems. Alphagan P does not treat the cause of the night vision problems, which may be refractive error, irregularity at the cornea, or the periphery of the cornea having a different refractive error than the center.

Your 0.75 diopter myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision can cause halo and starbursting at night. Before using Alphagan P and when experiencing halo problems, check each eye individually. If only the eye with myopia has halo problems, then they are more likely related to simple residual refractive error, will probably not improve much with Alphagan P, and will probably be able to be resolved with glasses, contacts, or (if appropriate) enhancement surgery.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby carmen123 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:11 pm

Alphagan is amazing!

Wow, it makes such a difference. I did try what you said, and both eyes were blurry at night, not just the one with refractive error.

Even with the alphagan though, my left eye still sees blurry. At night especially. I know that you can legally drive even when you see 20/40, but there is NO way I could drive at night, seeing 20/25. (Which is why I still question if I'm really seeing 20/25 from my left eye)

I just don't understand how people seeing 20/40 can see well enough to drive. It is shocking!

Anyways, as much as I love alphagan, you mentioned that it is used for glaucoma. I'm guessing that it lowers eye pressure? Could lowered eye pressure have a negative effect on my eyes? I guess I'm just worried about using it long-term.
carmen123

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:47 pm

I'm delighted that the Alphagan P is helpful.

Rather than just lowering intraocular pressure (IOP), Alphagan P regulates the fluid flow to maintain normal pressure. It is possible that the use of Alphagan P to address night vision problems may reduce your IOP, but it is not likely to reduce the IOP to a level that is problematic. Your doctor can quickly and easily check your IOP to verify that you are within the normal and safe range.

Continued night vision problems even with reduced pupil size indicates that your difficulties are related to an irregularity across the cornea. That you have halo problems in the eye without surgery indicates that this is a natural problem that you would have had with or without surgery, however it does appear that surgery exacerbated the problem.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Button1 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:49 pm

I am also three months post CVL and have a question. Although my doctor didn't mention it, I noticed that I have regressed from 20/15 both eyes to 20/20 in left and 20/25 in right (my right eye was always my worse.) Will it regress any further? I am not sure why he didn't mention the regression at my appointment.

Also, he said my occasional double vision is just fatigue and I have excellent tear film, which sounds like good news!!
Button1

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:48 am

Remember that 0.25 diopter is normal vision fluctuation in humans. That can account for a 20/15 to 20/20 or a 20/20 to 20/25 variable. Some additional changes may occur, but you are probably very close to your final outcome.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby carmen123 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:02 pm

My left eye is continuing to regress, which I expected. My right eye, however, is still very clear. That is so strange to me. That one eye is seeing so much better than the other. I thought both eyes would regress in a similar fashion..

Anyways, I'm trying to hold out and not see my doc until Feb - but it is difficult. I absolutely hate having one eye seeing differently than the other.

My question is this: If I wait until Feb, it will be about 6 months since I had my original LASEK surgery. Do you think at this point my eyes will have stabalized? Would it be better to just use contacts/glasses for a year to make sure? (My doc only covers enhancements for 2 years after surgery)

Also, I have noticed that my left eye does get clearer for just a second, after I put an eye drop in it. Could this mean anything significant?

Thanks again for all of your help!
carmen123

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:49 pm

Your eye becoming more clear with a drop of artificial tears may indicate that you have a dry eye problem, but may also indicate that the additional thickness added by the drop is enough to change the refractive error and bring things into focus. Your doctor is able to examine if your have a dry eye problem.

Each eye is individual, even two eyes of the same person. A different healing response is not unusual.

Glasses or a contact lens will provide you the vision correction you need. You would need to check with your doctor to determine if a contact lens is appropriate.

It is reasonable to expect regression to have completed its course by six months postop, but what the doctor will be checking is stability in refractive error. It may take longer, it may take less.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago