my LASEK experience - not good 1 month out =(

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

my LASEK experience - not good 1 month out =(

Postby cynthia79 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:16 am

Hi Everybody,

I had LASEK done on both eyes on 1/22/10. I was a -12.5 prescription in both eyes, but my doctor assured me that he did high prescriptions at that level quite often and I was a good candidate because I had thick corneas (~600 microns both eyes). He is a very experienced and qualified refractive surgeon here in NYC (Dr. Emil Chynn), so I had (and still have) some faith in him.

I am now almost 1 month post-op, and suffering. My left eye is okay, seeing about 20/30, but my right eye is only seeing about 20/80 and has double vision (monocular diplopia). This discrepancy in my eyes gives me huge headaches throughout the day. My job requires sitting in meetings looking at presentations and looking at my computer, and I can barely get through an 8 hour day like this. Will this get any better?

I am also suffering from severe dry eyes. I am currently taking Lacrisert, Restasis, a night-time gel, and Systane and Refresh Optive drops frequently throughout the day. I am also on Predforte 3x a day. All that stuff make my eyes feel even blurrier, althought the Systane and Refresh do improve my vision temporarily after I put a drop in. I also have a cold air humidifier and just bought TranquilEyes night time eye mask. Every morning when I wake up my eyes are sticky and sealed shut from the gel. I also got my lower tear ducts cauterized in both eyes on Monday (2 days ago), and have plugs in both top tear ducts. The cauterization actually works better than the plugs and are more comfortable. Yesterday I felt my own tears were flowing again - not sure if that's b/c of the Restasis or the cauterization or both.

My doctor says that my right eye may be undercorrected and still have a prescription (-1 to -2), but won't know for sure until my eyes settle down more. He says my left eye has no prescription. My corneas look fine at this point - no scarring or hazing. I just don't want to go through all of this again with an enhancement in my right eye! I am so worried that my vision will never improve. My doctor also says my epithelium is "okay, but not great" and isn't smooth yet, mostly due to my dry eyes. He also gave me a -2 contact lens just for my right eye to help balance my eyes out - it helps a little with clarity but not with the double vision =(

I feel like I've spent thousands of dollars and willingly subjected myself to having poor vision for the rest of my life. I used to see perfectly with contacts and I feel like I've made such a huge mistake. People say you have to give yourself time to heal, but everyone heals differently, and I don't know how much longer I can handle the headaches and double vision. It's making me depressed and I'm worried I will lose my job.

A few questions:
* Has anyone else gone through this kind of recovery 1 month post-LASEK?
* Is it safe to wear a contact this soon after LASEK in my right eye?
* Is it okay if I use an eye patch to cover my right eye during the day?
* Having read my experience, is there anything people might suggest that could help? Questions I should ask my doctor?
* Will the double vision ever go away? It's really, really freaking me out.

Any help and support at all would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Cynthia
cynthia79

Re: my LASEK experience - not good 1 month out =(

Postby cynthia79 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:18 am

PS: I forgot, I also take Vitamin C (500mg) 2x a day and Tears Again Hydrate pills (combo of Flaxseed and fish oil).

-Cynthia
cynthia79

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:04 am

cynthia79 wrote:* Has anyone else gone through this kind of recovery 1 month post-LASEK?

The poor vision, the regression, the dry eye, and fluctuations are very common at one month. At 6-10 weeks is when the clarity returns.

cynthia79 wrote:* Is it safe to wear a contact this soon after LASEK in my right eye?

This is where a good doctor is handy. It can be safe, even a requirement, but your doctor needs to make that determination.

cynthia79 wrote:* Is it okay if I use an eye patch to cover my right eye during the day?

You will not likely hurt your eye by keeping one patched, but you will lose all depth perception. Don't drive. Be very careful as you move about. You will reach for a door knob and smash your hand into the door or miss completely.

cynthia79 wrote:* Having read my experience, is there anything people might suggest that could help? Questions I should ask my doctor?

Realize that you are still nearsighted. 1.00 to 2.00 diopters of myopia is significant and will cause poor vision quality, starbursts, halos, etc. You will need corrective lenses until your eyes settle down (3-6 months) and then you will need to consider enhancement surgery.

cynthia79 wrote:* Will the double vision ever go away? It's really, really freaking me out.

Very likely yes. LASEK is notorious for doing this at about this juncture in the healing process.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby cynthia79 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:29 am

LasikExpert,

I am now at 9.5 weeks post-op, and my right eye is still seeing triple vision! it's like 3 images really closely stacked on top of each other.

It's weird, because the triple vision clears up if I tilt my head up or down and look out of the "corners" of my eye - then my vision is close to perfect. Also, sometimes putting in drops helps clear up the vision temporarily, but not always. The triple vision is also better on some days and worse on others, but overall I don't feel like there's a big noticeable difference from 4 weeks ago. Does this mean I have astigmatism? Or is my epithelium still messed up? I feel like 10 weeks is a long time for my epithelium to still be uneven. Can this be corrected or is my BCVA screwed up forever?

I'm going in on Friday for my 10 week post-op, what questions should I ask? I'm worried that my surgeon screwed up my surgery and just doesn't want to tell me. He just says to keep my eyes lubricated. Is it possible my eyes are undercorrected still?

Another question: my right eye tears a lot. I think this is because i'm on restatis and i've had all my tear ducts cauterized. Do I still need to use drops if i'm constantly feeling natural tears dripping out of my eye? Could my eyes still be dry?

Final question: Should I go get a second opinion from a different doctor? Is it too soon for that and I'm just being a worrywart, or is there something that I should legitimately get a second opinion on?

Thanks!

Cynthia
cynthia79

Postby PRKorIntacs » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:58 am

You may have been better off with IOLs(or ICLs) most lasik centers I know of don't treat above a -10 or so. Those who are above that are told to expect a partial correction/reduction of their myopia and need a thin pair of glasses worn part time. I know someone who's -9 and she was told she would still need a thin pair of glasses. She decided to stick with her thick glasses as she wants to be free of glasses and she was told her expectations are not realistic with such high myopia. Im wondering what your reasons were for lasek? Were your contact lens not comfortable or not doing the job in letting you see without glasses? I can't tolerate contact lens myself.

I would get a prescription for glasses, make sure they also correct your astigmatism. Youll also have to give more time for healing before enhancement in your 20/80 eye. Your lasek is like prk without a flap, right?
PRKorIntacs

Postby cynthia79 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:46 am

Dear PRK orIntacs,

yes, my LASEK is like PRK.

I've read that my cornea may have dried out during the PRK, and now I will have triple vision forever? Is that true? Can that be fixed with an enhancement? I won't consider enhancing until at least 6 months post op...

Cynthia
cynthia79

Postby PRKorIntacs » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:49 am

cynthia79 wrote:Dear PRK orIntacs,

yes, my LASEK is like PRK.

I've read that my cornea may have dried out during the PRK, and now I will have triple vision forever? Is that true? Can that be fixed with an enhancement? I won't consider enhancing until at least 6 months post op...

Cynthia

See an optometrist and get a prescription and glasses. Let us know how you see with thin glasses. Hopefully glasses correct your astigmatism.
Most centers won't treat above a -10, the center I went will go as high as -11. FDA approves PRK only up to -7. Were IOLs ever mentioned?
PRKorIntacs

Postby Lightcycles » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:18 pm

Hi Cynthia,

I hope you all healed up well and have perfect vision by now.
Can you please update us with the result of your PRK surgery with Dr. Chynn?
I figure it's almost 11 months since your LASEK surgery was done in January 2010.
I'm considering LASEK with Dr. Chynn and have high myopia and your post of long vision recovery has scared me away.
I'm in particularly curious how long it took for you to start working on a laptop comfortably enough for long hours and driving the car without any sudden vision fluctuations.
I'm also curious regarding the convenience of your follow-up appointments in Dr. Chynn office.
I found the stuff and operating procedures in his office extremely inefficient and unprofessional to say the least.

Thanks,
~LC
Lightcycles

Return to Just Had It