PRK 1 year ago, eye strain

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

PRK 1 year ago, eye strain

Postby RBwaBD » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:38 am

hello,
had PRK surgery about 18 months ago. About -6 in left eye plus some astigmatism, about 2.5 diopters less myopia in right eye.

Right eye went really well and I still have full vision. Left eye had a lot of hazing problems. Tried steroid drops, went good for a while, now again have haze and regression of about -1. I got myself some glasses.

My question however is about consistent eyestrain I have been experiencing, and this pretty much from right after surgery (even when both eyes were seeing well and before the hazing problems). My eyes have problem focusing, and i get really tired quickly when reading (although I actually see pretty well).
I suspect this relates to problems I had even before surgery. I have a very dominant left eye (i think I mostly only look through the left), and I wonder whether I might have strabismic problems? My doctors seem unable to spot the problem...

any other patients have experienced anything like this? it is extremely frustrating...
RBwaBD

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:00 pm

The eye strain you describe may relate to many small issues that can at first appear to be minor, but combine to cause the problems you describe. We have a detailed article about Lasik Eye Strain that may be helpful.

If the haze is in the lower layers of the cornea and is directly causing vision problems, you may want to discuss with your doctor the use of Mitomycin C to resolve the opaque cells.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby RBwaBD » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:43 pm

thanx for the quick reply! that was helpful.

two other related questions:

- do you think vision therapy could help with my vision accomodation problems? since it's already been a year and half since surgery and it's not getting better, I am despairing over my eyes ever accomodating, and the eyestrain is just unbearable.

- could the hazing still be causing the problems, even though I have got now glasses that correct the -1 undercorrection? if I decide to have the hazing removed surgically, is this a risky procedure? (i.e. more risky than the first one? more dry eye problems etc? does it end up removing more of my cornea?)

thx!
RBwaBD

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:44 pm

Haze removal is inherently more difficult than the original surgery because of less predictability. Two common methods are to use a laser to ablate away hazed tissue if the haze is at the surface of the cornea, or to use Mitomycin C. Both have potential risks that need to be considered and discussed with your doctor before proceeding.

The haze certainly could be causing your eye to attempt to accommodate around the fuzzy image. This constant accommodation can cause eye ache similar to what you describe. A way to test this could be for the doctor to use drops that would paralyze your natural lens and keep it from accommodating. If the pain subsides during this time, then it would appear that it is related to an accommodation issue. Exacly how to resolve an accommodation problem would still be an open question, but at least you would know the origin of the problem.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago