Will I be able to jump with the parachute after LASIK?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Will I be able to jump with the parachute after LASIK?

Postby adrian » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi all! I've recently discovered this website as I couldn't find any discussion forum about LASIK in my country. I am planning to have the procedure this summer, and I want to do it for professional reasons. The truth is that I am very scared and sometimes I think that I shouldn't do it, especially after reading the stories on this forum. I still have many questions, even though I've been doing a lot of research for almost 3 years. I hope you guys can help me..
Mt first question is - will I be able to jump with the parachute after LASIK? I still don't understand if the cut in the cornea will ever cure. I am concerned of the fact that during a parachute jump the flap cut in the cornea may go loose or something like that.. or it may go away..
Second question - will I be able to stay under water with my eyes opened and have no risk of infection or again of losing the flap that was cut in the cornea?
Third question - I'm not sure what I read somewhere, but I hope to find an answer here - is there any problem with measuring the intraocular pressure because of LASIK?
That's it for now. I am 25, I've had myopia since I was 15 years old and my diopters are -2.5, -2.5 with a slight astigmatism. I think my myopia is stable now. The doctor which I chose has over 10000 procedures done, he is the best in the country and he uses a Zeiss Mel 80 laser. You think the laser is good enough? I am very scared that I could develop side effects. I still haven't had any dscussion with the doctor..
Thanks in advance and God bless you!
adrian

Re: Will I be able to jump with the parachute after LASIK?

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:48 pm

adrian wrote:Mt first question is - will I be able to jump with the parachute after LASIK?

Yes. You would have the same eye safety requirements with or without Lasik. The US military has approved Lasik for pilots who may need to eject and/or parachute.

adrian wrote:I still don't understand if the cut in the cornea will ever cure.

The Lasik flap does heal, but not like a cut on your arm. It is always different, but is secure. Read about Lasik flap healing.

adrian wrote:I am concerned of the fact that during a parachute jump the flap cut in the cornea may go loose or something like that.. or it may go away..

Your flap will not be flapping in the wind. Talk to some of your jumping friends and you undoubtedly find many who have had Lasik.

adrian wrote:Second question - will I be able to stay under water with my eyes opened and have no risk of infection or again of losing the flap that was cut in the cornea?

The flap seals very tightly around the outer edges, like a Tupperware bowl lid. The possibility of infection always exists, however the probability of infection from swimming after Lasik is virtually the same with or without successful Lasik.

adrian wrote:Third question - I'm not sure what I read somewhere, but I hope to find an answer here - is there any problem with measuring the intraocular pressure because of LASIK?

Accurate intraocular pressure (IOP) can be taken after Lasik, however be sure you tell your eye doctor that you have had Lasik.

adrian wrote:That's it for now. I am 25, I've had myopia since I was 15 years old and my diopters are -2.5, -2.5 with a slight astigmatism. I think my myopia is stable now.

These are all indications that you may be an appropriate candidate for Lasik.

adrian wrote:The doctor which I chose has over 10000 procedures done, he is the best in the country and he uses a Zeiss Mel 80 laser. You think the laser is good enough?

Forget the brand of the laser and focus on the quality of the surgeon. No amount of technology can compensate for an inferior surgeon.

adrian wrote:I am very scared that I could develop side effects.

Perhaps you should put things into perspective. You intend to jump out of an airplane with a parachute. I'm sure you already know of individual stories of jumping disasters. Lasik has had thousands of medical studies, has been approved in every nation in the world, and has around 14 million people who have done it. I believe that by any evaluation, between Lasik and parachute jumping, Lasik is much safer.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:04 am

Thank you!
adrian

Postby adrian » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:29 pm

I still have one question - what about PRK? Should I tell the eye doctor before taking the intraocular pressure that I had PRK?
adrian

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:32 pm

You should report your surgical history to subsequent eye doctors whether you had PRK, Lasik, or any type of vision correction surgery. It may make no difference for one particular test, but it may be important for other evaluations.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:52 pm

Ok, thank you!
adrian

Postby adrian » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Now i'm not sure whether any scar will remain on the cornea after PRK. First i thought there will be no trace but now some doctors told me that some scars will remain and can be seen by eye doctors. My problem is that i am trying to pass an eye exam so the eye doctor CAN NOT see that i had PRK. It is that possible? I have to mention that i also must have my intraocular pressure taken in this eye exam. Anyone with a clear answer? Thanks in advance!
adrian

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:55 pm

PRK corrects myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision by flattening the center of the cornea. A significant flattening would be evident to a knowledgable doctor. The cornea normally will not scar with PRK, however if the correction is for more than about 6.00 diopters of myopia, haze may present. This is commonly prevented with the use of Mitomycin C eye drops immediately before surgery.

I am curious what requires you to have 20/20 uncorrected vision and never have had vision correction surgery. The US military, NASA, fire departments, police, pilots, etc. have had no problem with vision correction surgery.

Measuring intraocular pressure (IOP) is normally not a problem after PRK.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:05 pm

Thank you! Well, eye surgeries are allowed in the US military, but not in Europe...
adrian

Return to Thinking About It