Just Had it and worried

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Just Had it and worried

Postby AMA » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:30 pm

I had PRK last Thursday and am so upset that I may have made a mistake. It all seemed to easy before hand. I hope I will be able to drive at night and do what I used to do/
AMA

Re: Just Had it and worried

Postby ScottW » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:00 pm

What kind of issues are you experiencing?

I had ICL surgery, but I can tell you from my experience that the really big issues took over a week to go away. I initially had very blurry vision around any image and light sensitivity, but it finally settled down once my eyes had time to heal. Maybe a similar timeline is necessary for you.
ScottW

Postby globetruck » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:56 am

AMA - how's things going? I'm at about 10 weeks and I've improved but still not 20/20. I hope things are well for you.
globetruck

Postby AMA » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:16 pm

I think I was a sucker to get this done. I went in for a consulation with an eye center I had been going to for years. I started to get more interested when 2 people had LASIK for -8 vision (not at my doctor) I just thought I would see with the surgical director. The doctor who did the initial tests I think felt put upon because he does the work for the surgeon. Mind you I didn't even know at that point what the tests were about.
When I saw the main guy he told me my corneas were too thin for LASIK but I could get PRK. I never heard of PRK. He said it would be safe only I wouldn't get the WOW factor. He said I may not get 20/20 (but that was ok with me) and I asked about glare and such and he downplayed it saying they use steroids to make you heal better now than they used too.
At that time he said he would do CUSTOM and I really didn't even know the difference.
Anyway they had to do another test and I had to see the same unfriendly first doctor. Then I saw the surgeon. At that time the surgeon said he could not do custom because it would take off too much. He talked about the blend zone a little and I asked what does that mean. He only told me it was about how light enters and I asked if that meant peripheral vision and he said no. He made it sound like it was no problem.
The day of the PRK the laser place had me watch a video and I told the surgeon the video scared me and why. I also feel he made it seem like those things could not happen to me.
Noe after the surgery I realize I may have a large pupil and it is going to affect my night vision. I have been a mess because I feel I now ruined myself. He told my husband and I that pupil size was no longer a factor. I am thinking that is strange.
I'm asking for all my testing records and the surgery details. I'm trying to relax for my family but I feel like such a handicap now.
Shouldn't a doctor let you know if he doesn't feel you will have a good outcome? I have thin corneas, -8 myopia and a pupil 7mm in low light. Plus I did not have custom. He did not tell me I was at higher risk for GASH. He says my brain will adjust.
AMA

Postby Indept » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:09 am

AMA,
Hope things work out well for you. BE PATIENT, PRK takes a while (months) to recover. From what I've read & heard, it's more accurate than Lasik (with the flap). I had PRK 3 times now (due to my previous RK which is radial keratotamy where the use a knife to slit the cornea which was done successfully back in 1983), due to that my eyes "overreact" to the laser. What I'm getting at is that it takes months to get to the final vision so don't be worried yet. My first PRK in 2009 I could see great (perfect) in the first few days then as the weeks went on It SLOWLY got worse until my eye went to almost +2 which is very farsighted. That was due to my eye overreacting to thee PRK, the cuts which are still present make my cornea weaker. Basically, I went from initial Great result to way overcorrected but it took about 2 months to get to that point, so if you have blurry vision in the first few weeks don't worry YET, hopefully it will settle in better by a few months time. Keep us informed.
Indept

Postby AMA » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:31 pm

My day vision may get better but I do not believe the night vision . The logic and math do not add up. Before this I didn't even know that was a consideration. I consider myself intelligent and I think I just went on experiences with people with LASIK and also the doctor minimized the problem. I really feel they do not care because of the consent form. Also if I can read the line I guess he shouldn't care. However morally these docotrs have friends and family on the roads and they should do everything in their power to make sure that they do no harm.
I hope the contrast will get better because it upsets me when my children do not look the same to me.
AMA

Postby paducahtiger » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:41 pm

I just had it on June 19. Saw Halo and starburst for the first week. Right eye healed after two weeks with custom. left eye took longer. As of today, 20/20 and no problems. Yes, everybody heals differently.
paducahtiger

Return to Just Had It