Starbursts: Anyone ever seen big ones reduced or go away?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Update: Starbursts still here & as nasty as ever...

Postby Anyman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:58 am

I'd say the risk is just to great. Avoid Lasik.

Yes, there are happy people, but spend a little time digging and you'll see many really, really ticked off people. True, they may be less numerous than the "happy" ones, but are YOU willing to take such a risk? I wish I didn't.
Anyman

Re: Starbursts: Anyone ever seen big ones reduced or go away?

Postby teacher » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:44 am

I had Lasik just over 2 months ago and the starbursts are actually getting worse. Why is this when the sight is fine?
teacher

My theory is as follows

Postby Anyman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:47 am

Your eye is "healing" after significant trauma. The new scar tissue, for lack of a better word, diffracts light. My starbursts are AWFUL, even after well over 1 year.

I've spend much time and money trying to find a work around. Still looking, but a mix of soft & hard lenses help a little.

Of course, you could always demand your doctor give you a satisfactory answer & solution. Or, go with an "eye for an eye". That works too.
Anyman

Postby bjd2k1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:59 pm

I am sorry to read of your situations, I can attest that directly after surgery I saw small starbursts but only when I looked at certain light colors or intensities like the green light on my cable box or a recessed light in the kitchen. It wasn't extreme by any measure and wasn't anything that would cause me anxiety. I assumed it was due to my corneal adema and it would pass, and eventually it did. I would say around the 3 month mark there was no more starburst and I was seeing light exactly as I saw it with contacts (maybe even a little better because my astigmastism was now corrected). Also, my pupils were much larger than yours they were 8.2 mm...
bjd2k1

Postby AMA » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Dear Anyman, I am really interested in what you decide to do because I fear the worst. We need to band together. I am going crazy.
AMA

Postby croanster » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:06 pm

One thing might be worth mentioning.... or not.... the average pupil dilation decreases with age. eg if your pupil dilates out to 7 mm when your 25, when your 50 it will probably only dilate to say 5.5mm - 6mm. When you reach 80 maybe only around 4mm - 4.5 mm so starburst's will almost definately decrease with time. Just have to be veeeeeeeeryy patient....
croanster

Postby AMA » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:24 pm

I'm 41 with 7mm in dim lighting. The docotr overlooked this. My pupil seems to dilate more at night.
AMA

Postby AMA » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Also I have children that do extracurricular activities and family I need to visit. I think the screenong process to get this done needs to be more strict and the exact measurements of what will be done you need to know before.
AMA

Postby jazzy_jeff_1986 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:43 am

Dear Anyman,

How are you now? Hope you are better. I had my initial surgery in Europe in 2008 and also have serious issues with nigth and dim light vision. It was LASEK procedure with MEL-70 laser (half a year later they bought a MEL-80!!!). I was around -5D both eyes without astigmatism. When I have asked my surgeon before surgery about risk of night vision distubances, she just trivialized it and generally she reacted to every my question like it was just wasting her time... I was so STUPID that it did not discoureged me from surgery. Now it's more than 3 years after the procedure and my starbursts, halos etc. are horrible. Also mine vision in dim light is very poor and this is very serious problem for me, because I'm working very often in such conditions (at a building site). I really don't know what to do... I've beed reading lots of stories in here and on other forums. I think I understand my problem pretty well. My main problem is that I had 6 mm ablation zone and my pupils are bigger. Althouth they are not so big - according to mine exminations they are about 6,5 mm. But I'm using Alphagan since 2008 and it helps me pretty much, especially with dim lught vision, which is generally perfect after using these drops. I'm so desperate lately, I can't manage in my work. Driving at night for me is like russian rulette. Glasses help a litlle bit and makes driving at night somewhat possible, but on the other hand I feel like a little overcorected with them. Starbursts are a litlle smaller and can see easier the center of them with glasses. I was e-mailing with a few doctors and one in England told me that they can help. So I suppose I need to go to London, examine my eyes again and talk with him face to face after possible re-treatment. I'm very curious if You have found any helpful solution to our problem. I will keep informing You about my situation.
jazzy_jeff_1986

Previous

Return to Just Had It