Dry eyes - my solution

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Dry eyes - my solution

Postby ColdFrixion » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:59 pm

I'm on the cusp of having had surgery 2 months ago (surgery on the 8th of Sept.) and wanted to share a solution I've found to my dry eye delimma. Mind you, I eat healthy, drink lots of water and make carrot juice but none of that really seemed to eliminate the problem. I've been having to put a couple of drops in my eyes every 30 minutes to 1 hour, many times much more often(every 15 or 20 minutes), depending. If I didn't, I'd either feel stinging and/or the "something's stuck in my eye" sensation, oftentimes both.

I would've thought by this time I could've started backing off the drops to maybe once every couple of hours or so but no such luck. Anyway, since I started doing what I do now, I can go for HOURS without putting in a single drop. When I say hours, I'm talking about 4 or 5 hours, sometimes more. Like today for instance, I put one drop in each eye about 7:45 AM and haven't needed to re-wet my eyes yet. It's now 2:36 PM and I haven't even thought about (or had my eyes remind me of) the drops.

Anyway, I'll quit wasting time and tell you what I've been doing. How many of you are familiar with something called Wheatgrass? It's basically a plant (it looks just like regular grass hence the name I suppose) that you can find at certain healthfood stores and supermarkets(you can even grow it yourself, although I personally haven't gone that route). The plant itself is indigestible so I don't recommend eating it raw, however it's commonly consumed by crushing it to obtain the juice(using a juicer), which is what I've been doing. I use a specific kind of juicer called, appropriately enough, a wheatgrass juicer. I consume approximately half an ounce per day(roughly 1 tablespoon or the equivalent of 3 teaspoons).

After using it for about 3 or 4 days, I noticed the stinging went away. I didn't feel like something was stuck in my eye after an hour. I'd found relief! I was truly amazed. I mean, there have been times I would get up in the morning and not even have to use the drops for an hour or so. Then once I would wet my eyes, I'd then find myself forgetting to use the drops for hours on end. I'm befuddled as to why it works so well. I really am. Wheatgrass is purportedly loaded with vitamins, minerals, enzymes and amino acids, and while there are certainly a host of other benefits associated with its use, the aim of my post is to offer hope (and a potential solution) for those suffering with this condition. I *strongly* urge all dry eye sufferers to try this treatment as soon as possible. Incidentally, I am extremely interested to hear how others respond to its use.

For the record, I don't sell any products connected with wheatgrass or wheatgrass juicers. I'm just trying to help others who're possibly going through the same thing I was, and I hope this helps at least some of you the way it's helped me so dramatically.
Last edited by ColdFrixion on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
ColdFrixion

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:12 pm

If you want to verify your findings, perhaps you could not use your wheatgrass supplement for a few days to see if there is any change. The results would be interesting.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ColdFrixion » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:37 am

I had nasal surgery on the 19th of October and did indeed have to abstain from consumption for nearly two weeks due to concerns of increased bleeding. The first couple of days were fine, however by the third (and especially the fourth) day my eyes began relapsing into their previous state. By the end of the first week, the symptoms had returned completely. However, I began consumption again last week (around the 1st) and once again the symptoms seem to have miraculously all but vanished as of the last two days.
ColdFrixion

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:11 am

Very interesting. It would be great to do a double blind (pun intended) placebo study, but I have no idea how you could get any other liquid to taste like wheatgrass juice.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ColdFrixion » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:36 am

I'm not certain this is a valid approach, but perhaps use subjects that have no prior experience with it?
ColdFrixion

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:25 am

Sorry ColdFrixion, but my personal taste and opinion is that anyone who had past experience with drinking wheatgrass juice would never want to have a future experience!

Years ago I had a friend who was a fan and I tried that stuff. Yuck! I thought I'd give it another chance a few weeks ago at a juice bar. Somehow the taste did not seem to improve with time. It is not exactly horrible and if it works for severe dry eye then it is more than worth putting up with the taste, but it is not a taste I personally enjoy.

I will put the word out to some patients who have long-term dry eye problems and see how it goes for them. I hope you have tripped over a great solution to a plexing problem for some.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ColdFrixion » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:43 pm

I'm scheduled for a checkup on the 20th of this month. I do want to ensure that the wheatgrass is actually helping to alleviate the condition itself rather than the associated discomfort exclusively. I would hate to think my eyes have remained dry and I've not been able to detect it. However, assuming that were the case, I'm lead to believe my vision would be affected to a notable degree.
ColdFrixion

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:24 am

I've been talking to some of the leading dry eye experts attending a medical convention this weekend. Thus far, no one has any experience with wheatgrass use for treatment, however vitamin supplements have long been known to help with ocular health.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ColdFrixion » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:00 am

LasikExpert wrote:I've been talking to some of the leading dry eye experts attending a medical convention this weekend. Thus far, no one has any experience with wheatgrass use for treatment, however vitamin supplements have long been known to help with ocular health.

To be sure, vitamin supplements are helpful I'd imagine, although I must say I drink carrot, spinach, broccoli and beet juice every day and haven't been able to achieve anywhere close to the same result I've attained using wheatgrass. I also consume a tablespoon of ground flaxseed every day as well, although it doesn't seem to offer any greater benefit(compared to the vegetable juice).
ColdFrixion

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:20 pm

Dry flaxseed is the least beneficial for dry eye issues. Liquid flaxseed oil is usually more beneficial.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ColdFrixion » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:33 pm

LasikExpert wrote:Dry flaxseed is the least beneficial for dry eye issues. Liquid flaxseed oil is usually more beneficial.

I use flaxseed oil (softgels) as an adjunct, and put the ground flaxseed in my morning smoothie.
ColdFrixion

Postby ColdFrixion » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:53 pm

Here's an update regarding the visitation to my clinic yesterday:

The doctor told me that my eyes looked 100% better than my last visit. Regarding my concern over alleviating the symptoms of dry eye vs. the actual condition itself, he stated that there was practically no way I'd be able to simply alleviate the symptoms of dry eye without alleviating the cause as well, that is unless I employed the use of numbing drops perhaps. It was great news for me. In fact, during my previous visit, he'd stated that there was some epithelial growth forming along the periphery. However, this visit was a different story; it had abated approximately 75%.

I'd mentioned my extremely fortuitous experiences with wheatgrass to him, and he stated that he'd never heard of it but he seemed very, very interested nonetheless, that is considering the progress my eyes had made regarding my dry eye and the length of time I was able to proceed throughout the day without using drops. Not to mention I sit at a computer for quite a few hours at a time during the day.

He asked a few questions regarding the palatability of its consumption and amount I'd been ingesting, and was interested in its primary composition. He stated he was going to research it and encouraged me to continue its use.
ColdFrixion

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:59 pm

I look forward to a researched article on the use of wheatgrass juice as treatment for dry eye.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:18 pm

I bought some EverGreen Frozen WheatGrass. They come in frozen cubes of .6 oz cubes. I have been taking Vitamin B-12 of late and seem to be noticing less ghosting of stoplights - time will tell if they go away completely. Nothing to lose here with the wheatgrass. It doesn't taste that bad. It'll be great if you are on to something!
DryEye

Postby ColdFrixion » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:50 am

Great! When did you begin using the wheatgrass?
ColdFrixion

Next

Return to Just Had It