FML Forte

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

FML Forte

Postby Mercy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:33 am

Another post ~ Another subject. At 5 weeks post PRK I was to cut back on my FML Forte to 3 times per day. I had been doing one drop in eye 4 times oer day up to this point with no complications. Yesterday when I put the drop in it felt like a drop of acid or a fragment of glass cutting my eye. This discomfort went away after 30-40 seconds but the white of my eye was blood shot. Dose number two, 8 hours later, the same thing. I go to see doctor tomorrow concerning this [ and the matter of my double vision]. I also called the surgery center and they told me to use lots of the Refresh drops and continue with the FML...even after I explained the blood shot eye, burning....
I did as I was told but made sure I used FML shortly after using Refresh. Has anyone has this reaction to FML after no probs at all the first month? What exactly is the FML suppose to be doing anyway?
Thanks again!
Mercy

Re: FML Forte

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:15 am

This is an unusual situation, but you were instructed well to keep using the Fluorometholone (FML) as instructed until your doctor says otherwise. FML is a corticosteroid and the sudden end to its use can cause undesired results. Please tell us here what your doctor says.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Mercy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Update to my reaction to the FML. I learned something today...finally! FML Forte can weaken the immunity of the eye and that is what happened. Bacteria entered and I got an infection, I believe the doctor called Endophthalmitis. It makes spots over the cornea and that has had influence on my vision taking that step backwards. He took me off of the FML and replaced it with the Pred which I am instructed to use twice a day. He said I will finish later with the FML but a new bottle will be prescribed in case I contaminated the present one. I am also on an antibiotic drop called Zymaxid, three times a day. Doctor assured me this would clear up. If anyone has had this I would appreciate additional thoughts.
I asked today what exactly is the FML (or Pred)suppose to do, why we take it for so long....The corticosteroids are used to delay the healing process which "fools" the tissue in a way that it does not manufacture scar tissue. Lord knows we would not want scar tissue on the cornea! Finally got some answers today and it helped.
Mercy

Postby Mercy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:46 am

I really wish I could get a reply to this or one of my other posts.
I am on my fourth day of Pred and Zymaxid after seeing doctor about the inflammation mentioned above. My vision is still doubled. Sometimes it seems clear but it's hard to tell because of the double/ghosting, ugh! Other times it fluctuates back to being blurry somewhat. I was looking at the bloodshot corner of my eye to see if the Zymaxid is clearing it up and I notice a small "pus-like' bump in the middle of the red. I suppose I will have to call the doctor again but if anyone would PLEASE respond I would appreciate any input.
Thank you!
Mercy

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:16 am

PRK tends to produce a full wound response, and that will likely include inflammation. If the inflammation is evenly distributed across the whole of your cornea, the thickening of the cornea would cause a myopic shift – you would be more nearsighted/shortsighted than without inflammation. This can lead to blurred vision.

If the inflammation is uneven, which is much more likely, then the “bumps and valleys” of the inflammation will cause an irregular astigmatism, with even worse blurring and distorted vision. When you have a combination of overall and irregular inflammation, you will have poor quality vision even with glasses.

Excessive inflammation can lead to scar tissue. The use of a corticosteroid is to control inflammation, but even this treatment may be initially uneven, contributing further to an irregular cornea and blurred vision.
You developed a bacterial infection that also can cause inflammation. Zymaxid is working to control the bacterial infection while the steroid is working to control the inflammation Unfortunately, steroids can be like fertilizer to some bacterial infection. Nonetheless, inflammation needs to be controlled and a steroid is usually the best method. Your doctor is balancing the medications to resolve both infection and inflammation.

While all this is going on, it is reasonable for your vision to be poor. Until both infection and inflammation are under control with everything settling down and stabilizing, poor vision quality is to be expected.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Mercy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:11 am

Thank you for the responce! Sometimes we just need to hear an answer even if it's the same one we heard elsewhere. I hope and pray I can get this bacterial thing under control w/o developing scar tissue.
Mercy

Return to Just Had It