Just got PRK after RK

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Re: Just got PRK after RK

Postby Indept » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:41 am

Week4: My last steroid drop was last night. My vision is still excellent. Hopefully my eye won't fluctuate much from this point, but then I'm only 1 month out from surgery so I'll see how it progresses.
Indept

Postby Indept » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:26 am

Week 6: My eye regressed slightly, I was reading the 20/10 line with just the right eye on week 4 and now I'm at the 20/13 line. The positive to this is that at week 4 I definitely needed reading glasses to read anything in my hands but now I can see newspaper print clearly at just under arms length. So overall, my vision is good. What I find interesting is that my untreated left eye which is usually at it's best in the morning and tends to go fairly blurry at distance by afternoon still helps with my overall vision. I find that by evening when my left eye is useless for distance, I can still read distant signs better with both eyes than with just my good right eye even though it seems my left eye is blurring the image.
Indept

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:04 am

Please keep us up to date. It sounds like you are having a very good response overall. Seeing the 20/13 line is quite impressive.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Indept » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:56 am

Week 9: My eye improved a little over a week ago and has been very clear and sharp, even at night. Otherwise about the same as my last post. I hope it remains this way.
Indept

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:40 pm

Keep us up to date. You may notice that a lot of people are reading this. Your information is very valuable.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Indept » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:09 pm

LasikExpert wrote:Keep us up to date. You may notice that a lot of people are reading this. Your information is very valuable.

Thanks LasikExpert, I will.
I feel fortunate seeing how others on this & other forums do have some real nightmares on their hands. Some of them are due to bad doctors, others may be due to unforeseen circumstances. If I would have stopped after my 1st PRK in '09 I would be one of those posting negatively. My vision settled in so hyperopic that I couldn't see anything, close up or distant clearly. My eye hurt by the end of the day. My surgeon claimed it was due to the radial keratotomy that caused my eye to overreact. I had the 2nd PRK and settled back to myopic but better than I was before PRK so I decided to go 1 more time at half the correction that the formula they used called for and that turned out to be the answer. I wish all of you with problem good luck finding a solution.
Indept

Postby Indept » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:01 am

Week 11: My eye is the same as last report, excellent distance but presbyopia has definitely appeared, Guess I was due this considering my age (53). Still, I will get my left eye done assuming the right stays as is. I will wait until next year for the left to see that the right remains with no issues & also to put the cost into my flexible spending which should save me 30% off of taxes.
Indept

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:58 am

This sounds like a good plan of action for next year. Please think of us and report that progress too.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Indept » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:56 am

Well here I am at just over 6 months post-op. My eye is good at 20/15 - 20/20. No problems outside of dry eye which has been getting better every month since the surgery. Problem I have is that my left (untreated eye) which was about 20/40 has given up on me. When I get up in the AM it has OK vision, but by about noon it is completely blurry distance wise. Close up (within about 4 feet it's ok). I will get that eye done in a few months (probably early 2012, before the Myan end of the world :) ) assuming my right eye remains good.
Indept

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:09 am

Your continued reports are so very helpful for those reading here. Back in February you said that you didn't belive monovision was for you. Too bad, because that is what you have now. Don't forget to try a contact lens on the 20/40 eye to be sure you want full correction. I had my eyes lasered to be almost exactly what you have now.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Indept » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:56 pm

LasikExpert wrote:Your continued reports are so very helpful for those reading here. Back in February you said that you didn't belive monovision was for you. Too bad, because that is what you have now. Don't forget to try a contact lens on the 20/40 eye to be sure you want full correction. I had my eyes lasered to be almost exactly what you have now.

I find the difference annoying both for distance & reading. My untreated eye actually feels sore by the end of the day. I use reading glasses when reading and find it more comfortable than trying to read with just my myopic eye so I'm already sold on the surgery.
Indept

Postby Indept » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:50 am

At 8 months post op my eye is still good, excellent vision. I do need reading glasses though but I'm OK with that. I must be a gluten for punishment though as I am recovering from a deviated septum operation which was done on Wednesday. I broke it when I was about 6 years old (back in the 1960's) and finally decided to get it fixed, maybe I should join a procrastinators club :). Well I still intend to have my left eye corrected probably early next year, I figure I should spread the pain out a little.
Indept

Postby Indept » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:41 am

Went for my 9 month checkup. All is well with my right eye. Vision good, slight dry eye but not at all bad, it is improving, I am going this Friday to get dilated in advance of having my left (uncorrected) eye corrected.
Overall I am finally happy with my right eye. I do not like the difference between both eyes for either reading or distance. My right eye is plano and my left -1.00 with some astigmatism.
Indept

Postby Indept » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Had PRK on my left eye yesterday. A little scratchy today as expected.20/30 in that eye today at my 1 day post-op checkup. My right eye is at 11 months since it's last PRK & is 20/20. The doctor cut back on yesterdays correction by 50% since the right eye over-responded. Both eyes had similar prescription prior to PRK & same amount of corneal thickness and both have 8 RK incisions so the assumption is both eyes have equally weakened corneas and will react the same to PRK HOPEFULLY. They had prescribed Bromday brand drops but I questioned using them as they are NSAID type local pain relievers. I am on Plavix & aspirin for my heart & NSAIDs can counteract the blood thinning effect. I tolerated the discomfort of PRK before with Vicodin so my doctor prescribed that for me again and it's doing fine. And the difference in price was 30 cents for Vicodin -vs- ~80 bucks for the drops. So I'm on the typical antibiotic drops & steroid drops for now. I get the bandage contact out on Tuesday.
Indept

Postby Indept » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:52 am

Day 3: Good sign, my eye went blurry today, which is similar to what happened with my right eye after the last successful correction.The scratchiness is gone, mostly comfortable with the exception of blurry. After my first PRK my eye overreacted and went hyperopic. After about 3 days I had excellent vision, unbelievably clear even with the bandage contact, then it proceeded to go hyperopic after a few weeks. The last correction on my right eye, my vision went blurry after a day or so and I got concerned. It stayed bad until about the second to third week were it started to get better to the point of achieving the final 20/20 so I see this as a positive. I will post as things hopefully improve.
Indept

PreviousNext

Return to Just Had It