Visx Star S4 and Pupil Size (optical zone / ablation zone)

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Visx Star S4 and Pupil Size (optical zone / ablation zone)

Postby davinci23 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:13 am

Hi Experts....Wondering about the halos and pupil size.... At night I have a bit of ghosting in both eyes and see halo/starbursts. The halos/starbursts are an irritant but not god awful. The ghosting is a pain. My doc says both symptoms will go away with time.

So I got my records and noticed that my pupil size(s) is 6.75mm. On my records, I also noticed that the S4's Optical Zone is 6.5mm and the Ablation zone is 8.0mm. I was told I was a CustomVue candidate. Was I indeed? Or was I over the line with 6.75mm pupil size??? Note my original prescription was [-1.5 SPH/-1.0] and [-1.75 SPH/-.25]

BTW, I'm 8 weeks post-Lasik (CustomVue) so I'm not entirely through the healing process......
davinci23

Re: Visx Star S4 and Pupil Size (optical zone / ablation zone)

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:54 pm

Your relatively low myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) refractive error indicates that the 0.25mm difference between naturally dilated pupil and optical ablation zone would have no effect on night vision. The halo and ghosting you report is undoubtedly caused or exacerbated by inflammation of the cornea (corneal edema), which is common after Lasik. It may also be that Lasik did not completely resolve a small amount of astigmatism or induced a small amount. You really won't know until the healing has completed, but you should be getting a pretty good indication soon.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby davinci23 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:54 pm

Thanks for the detailed info as always Glenn.......
davinci23

Postby Big Dunker » Sun May 01, 2011 9:16 pm

I got a quick question.
What's the difference between the optical and the ablation zone?

And does the (too large) pupil size only take effect on the night vision or on day vision too?
Big Dunker

Return to Just Had It