really really need advice re prk anyone??!!!!

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

really really need advice re prk anyone??!!!!

Postby susssan » Wed May 25, 2011 11:54 am

I had custom wave front lasik in December. they have finally consented to do an enhancement (insisted I wait 6 months)
NOW I find out they will only do PRK as an enhancement. I am really upset about this as I have read so much about how much the recovery HURTS and also worry that there will be HALOS in my night vision forever.... I am ready to go pay another Dr to do the enhancement and ditch the place that did my lasik because I just can't believe they have to do PRK
Can you please give me any opinion on this????
I so need help on it because the PRK is set for next week and I'm on the line about following through with this. I thought they'd lift the flap, redo the laser and I'd just go thru the same healing process as before. I have heard nothing but bad about PRK and how difficult it is to get through the first week, and then your vision is cloudy. and then the halos???
anyone who can help, please tell me if this is what I have to go through to finally get my eye to good vision.
Susan
susssan

Re: really really need advice re prk anyone??!!!!

Postby Daphnep » Wed May 25, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi.
Sorry to hear you are having problems. I too had LASIK 12/22/10. My left eye did great. My right eye healed with "bumps" on my epithelium. My doctor performed a debridementment on my right eye on 4/26/11. A debridement is very similar to PRK, except I received no laser treatment. I too was frightened to have the debridement. I felt no pain during the procedure or any of the following days.

Today is 4 weeks since the debridementment. I still do not see as well in my right eye as my left eye but I am optimistic that it is getting better. I guess my advice to you is to not avoid it simply based on fear of the recovery, as everybody is different. Maybe you will be as fortunate as I was and have no pain. I am happy I had it done as there has definitely been improvement, and I feel as I continue in my healing process that my vision will get better.

Good luck and I hope to see that you have a successful outcome.
Daphnep

Postby susssan » Thu May 26, 2011 3:07 am

Daphnep--thank you
My custom wave front never was good. the day after the treatment 20/30 and then it regressed from that to worse than 20/40 how disappointing! So the enhancement is something i just couldn't wait to have done. Hearing it has to be PRK was disheartening. I wear glasses still!! :-(
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I have read that it really hurts on the third day and that people have to take all kinds of time off. Your help is appreciated and I so hope my experience will be as good as yours.
Hoping also that your eye will heal perfectly!
Susan
susssan

Postby GIB » Thu May 26, 2011 8:00 am

Delete
Last edited by GIB on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIB

Postby susssan » Thu May 26, 2011 4:48 pm

well they told me since I had a custom wavefront lasik, the flap was laser cut, and that the laser cut flaps heal so well they are difficult to lift.
Do you think this is true?
that is what I am wondering about. The Dr is highly skilled and teaches lasik but I wonder if he's not wanting to do something that might be a little more 'work' you know?
thanks so much for your opinion. they are ALL welcome and I am still debating.
thank you!
Susan
susssan

Postby Indept » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:59 am

Susssan,
What did you decide? PRK isn't THAT bad. a little discomfort the first day or so, but not unbearable, just scratchyness and a couple days of light sensitivity.
Indept

Postby susssan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:02 pm

I did it. This board was a wonderful help. Actually with the pain rx, I never had any pain. ANY!!
susssan

Postby lex » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Susan,
It seems you had a successful enhancement and i hope you are doing good.
Would you tell us when you did it and if you have any dry eyes issues?
I read in here some people had their bladeless flap relifted one year later, but no one told if they had dry eye issue.
I have a friend who had PRK and after a year he still using 3x a day drops.
lex
lex

Postby susssan » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:42 am

Yes the prk was successful. I don't have dry eye. However 1 1/2 year later, it seems my eye is regressing again. I don't know if a second enhancement is something I can do. My distance eye was 20/20 but it's 20/30 or 20/40 maybe astigmatism. I don't know. But I do know it's gone downhill. I could read the signs in the grocery over the aisles and now can just barely read them. :-( I am wondering if I should just give up and get glasses or pursue an enhancement.
susssan

Return to Just Had It